dashcam of an incident - what to do?

It was crawling traffic into the town centre. I was behind a mini Countryman when an articulated lorry wanted to change lane before a roundabout The lorry driver indicated, but obviously didn't see the mini as it was just along his cab, too far ahead to act on his signalling. As a result, the lorry nudged the mini to such an extent that the left side wheels were both lifted. The mini then pulled over. As she was walking towards the lorry, I wanted to tell her that I had dashcam, but then cars behind began sounding their horn, so I had no opportunity to convey this message. As it looked like it was 100% the fault of the lorry, I wanted to assist since I have the whole incident on mp4, 1 minute, 100MB. But what can I do now?

Reply to
johannes

ask the Police, they will be able to tie the number plate to an owner.

Reply to
MrCheerful

And isn't there a police website now that you can upload direct to? I think you have to fill in an online reporting form, and confirm that you would be prepared to make a formal witness statement if necessary. (Google currently having hissy fit).

Reply to
newshound

I tried the website which figured on BBC news in july, but it was pretty off-putting.

For a start, the website location feature didn't work. But I continued anyway. But then the questioning started getting harder with threats of procecution, as it was assumed that it was me who was in the collision with another vehicle. That was not my intention as I was way back from the incident and could not possibly have affected it. So I bailed out - no thanks. Just one of those things.

Reply to
johannes

Interesting, thanks. Actually set up by one of the web cam manufactures though free for all to use, based on an earlier prototype from a road safety group. Still sounds like a good idea in principle.

Reply to
newshound

If you make it public it won't be admissible as evidence. If it goes viral the case against the defendant would be dismissed as they can't get a fair trail.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Sadly, yes, there is.

And to think the Stasi used to blackmail and bribe people for this kind of surveillance.

Dash-cam warriors will be first against the wall when I'm running the show.

Reply to
Steve H

There has been at least one conviction based on video posted by the defendant on social media (mentioned recently in uk.legal.moderated)

Reply to
newshound

Can you cite any cases where evidence before the acting of charging the suspect has resulted from an acquittal purely from the publishing of a video?

The reason I ask, is there was a Panorama documentary a while ago, where the Police delayed the interviewing and charging of suspects specifically until after the program was aired.

Reply to
Fredxx

So you don't want bad drivers dealt with? Remember that when one hits you.

Reply to
Brian Reay

I do want them dealt with, I just don't want a society where we are actively encouraged to report each other to the authorities.

Do we never learn from history?

(this is aside from the fact that most people with dashcam stickers will deliberately provoke and engineer situations so they can upload the footage to the 'net or send to the police)

Reply to
Steve H

Perhaps you will change your mind if your house is ever broken into or you car is ever stolen etc.

Reply to
Brian Reay

I'd be very surprised if the police have any interest in a damage only accident, after the time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have issues with those who want us to become a nation of state informers.

Look back on recent history and let us know how that went last time.

Reply to
Steve H

Especially the pushbike ones who break every law going just to get video of the evil cars.

Reply to
FMurtz