What to do?

I own a 1967 fastback and I enjoy working on it alot. However, I am absolutely terrible at working on it, and what I do usually does more damage than it fixes. Each and every shop I've contacted about this car overcharges for any work done on it (this is probably true for all old Mustangs.) Now, I'm about to move from Mississippi to California and I don't know if I should take it with me and keep working on it, put it in deep storage or just call the local junkyard and have it hauled off. At what point should I just cut my huge losses and give up on this project?

Here's a link to the car as it's sitting today.

ftp://home.bellsouth.net/Front%20view.JPG

Reply to
JK

Link didn't work. This one should.

JK

Take it with you. Get a factory manual, learn more, and keep trying. Be patient, get used to the possibility of having to do things twice or more for a while, and ask questions. A lot of people here can help you. I almost gave up on my 67 several times, but am very glad I didn't. I still have a -lot- to learn, but it's very gratifying to get stuff done, and do it well, with your own two hands.

California's a great place to own one of these cars. You will find local experts (and some professing to be) in plentiful supply.

Don't give up. And whatever you do, DON'T just junk it! It looks great!!! There is so much potential with these cars, it's amazing once you get "into it". Also, old Mustang parts and restomod parts are plentiful and reasonable in price, due to the size of the market.

Best of luck!!!

JK wrote:

Reply to
Wound Up

Link didn't work. This one should.

Next time a shop overcharges...have this guy pay them a visit:

Seriously. Keep it. Keep working on it...you'll get better. Since it's gutted now I would re-do the wiring. Visit the folks at Painless wiring...they have a kit for a 65-66 that may be altered for your car...they also have universal kits. Modern fuses...fresh wires.

Reply to
Dinsdale

If you get rid of that car you will kick yourself, over and over again. Just keep workin and you will get better. Take your time, study, study some more, ask questions etc. Signed, Another mechanical moron (Claud)

But I am getting better. New timing chain and gear, radiator, water pump, hoses, ac delete w/ power steering relocate, etc. all in one day.

JK wrote:

Reply to
Claud Spinks

I think you could use some new rims. Maybe a little Round-Up on the fence line....

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Go west young man and take your horse. Then find some local Mustang clubs and pick their brains....

-- Mike

93 Cobra
Reply to
Mike R

If he sends it to a junkyard a LOT of people are going to kick him over and over....

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Out here you will want to have it!!!!

A TON of help is as close as the nearest Mustang club. People who have been where you are. People with special skills, from welding to wiring to whatever. People in the clubs around here get together to help do a project. Like, want your engine rebuilt? Throw a spaghetti feed or BBQ and invite 'em all over. ) Go light on the booze until after the work is done.... LOL). And, in the event the club you join is not to your liking, or not very helpful.... there are a dozen more in the surrounding areas. Also lots of aftermarket retailers, and shops which specialize in Mustangs, or classic cars.

I had a 65 FB in 1970-71. I sold it to get married. My cousin is driving that very pristine restored FB today. The marriage only lasted

13 years. It took me until this year to get another. You will regret lett>I own a 1967 fastback and I enjoy working on it alot. However, I am

Entering into the unknown, V'ger seeks information used to maintain his Vintage Burgundy 1965 Ford Mustang 2+2 w/289 ci 4v oem A Code V8, C4 Trans,

16x8" Vintage 40 wheels, with BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR16 tires, American Racing "Mustang" Centercaps, and a whole lot of other stuff; )
Reply to
V'ger

Sweet color, and it looks like decent paint with a nice shine. Gotta love that shade of blue with white Shelby stripes.

They're great for winter tires. (Which won't be terribly useful in CA, unless he's going skiing...)

Besides, they're mostly round and it looks like they hold air, so I'd think that a radiator and glass would be a bit higher on the ol' resto to-do list. :)

Or a touch of the world-famous "Grandpa's Weed Killer":

Garth Almgren

I'm gonna put a slightly used brain pick on Ebay soon...

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]