Interesting experience this afternoon.

On the way home from a day out and only a few hundred yards from home today, I noticed a small hatch back by the side of the road with smoke
spewing out of the bonnet. The lady driver as looking somewhat worried so I pulled over.
I checked for flames, none as far as I could tell, bonnet wasn't unduly warm, so I decided there was no fire. I asked if she was happy for me to open the bonnet and did so, making sure she was clear and keeping clear myself.
There was engine oil all over what seemed to be the exhaust manifold (or at least its cover). My best guess was the head gasket had gone- allowing oil to leak out.
While I didn't note the age of the car, it didn't look that old- certainly under 10 years.
I've not heard of a head gasket going like this in many a year.
Is is something that happens in modern engines?
(She was calling the RAC as I left, I made sure she was OK etc. and the car wasn't going to ignite- at least as far as I could. )
--
Always smile when walking, you never know where there is a camera ;-)

Remarkable Coincidences:
On 08/10/2018 22:36, Brian Reay wrote:

Is it safe, even if you stand back?
On 08/10/2018 22:44, GB wrote:

There was no evidence of flames, the bonnet wasn't unduly warm, etc I'd started to suspect the 'smoke' may be steam (there was no obvious smell),.... so I'd no reason to suspect it would flare up but not standing in front as I (carefully) lifted the bonnet still seemed wise.
--
Always smile when walking, you never know where there is a camera ;-)

Remarkable Coincidences:
On 08/10/2018 22:44, GB wrote:

Not really. Fire has to get fresh air, with the bonnet shut it can smoother itself, if not completely enough to slow it down. When overheated oil/plastic gets fresh air instead of CO2 laden smoke it can re-ignite. So if you suspect an under bonnet fire have a fire extinguisher to hand.
I had a car written off by the car parked next to it catching fire, due to an electrical fault. The guy opened the bonnet and left it open. The engine bay acted like a hearth, open to draw fresh air in at the bottom, big 6ft high column of flame to create a draught. The fire spread, though the loom into the dash the whole dash went up. It melted all rubber and plastic on side of my car, the wing mirror fell off. If he had shut the bonnet it wouldn't have progressed as quickly and my car might have been OK or it might have been safe enough for me to move my car.
Cortina MKIII 2L was liable to cough and catch fire when starting hot. A rep had been visiting the lab I worked in and his did it. One of the lab machinists/fitters heard it and was straight out the back door with the fire extinguisher. Had the rep out the car, bonnet open and fire out before the rep knew that it was on fire. One of the very few that this happened to that would have been repairable.
On 08/10/2018 22:36, Brian Reay wrote:

There is usually only one oil feed across the head gasket. If it fails the oil will be sprayed under the manifold and not over it. The other oil-ways in the head gasket are drains and not under pressure. Camshaft won't last very long without oil.
The most common source of engine oil is Rocker cover gasket. Failing to refit the filler cap properly. Failed turbo oil feed pipe. Failed oil/water cooler braze, or it's worked loose and unscrewed. Poorly routed breather hose that has either burnt on hot surface or chaffed though.
On 08/10/2018 23:54, Peter Hill wrote:

I didn't take much notice of the car make/model- just a small hatch back. I didn't get the impression it was anything 'flash'- eg with a turbo (I noticed it had spark plugs, or a least leads, so was petrol.)
Other than the oil sprayed and smoking, the engine looked clean so I assume it wasn't that old but, again, when I pulled over my main concern was checking for fire. Then, when was as sure as I could be, trying to see what was going on. Once I was pretty sure it wasn't fire, I thought it was steam and expected to see a burst hose etc. (Remember, there was no smell.)
--
Always smile when walking, you never know where there is a camera ;-)

Remarkable Coincidences:
On 09/10/2018 00:23, Brian Reay wrote:

oil or coolant have quite distinctive smells when vapourised.
On 09/10/18 08:04, MrCheerful wrote:

I don't doubt what you say but there was visible oil on the exhaust shield, smoke from it- enough that I checked the bonnet for warmth / heat etc before even 'cracking' it, let alone opening fully, but no obvious smell.
I ASSUME it was the smoke that caused the lady to pull over but I can't be sure. She was visibly distressed, which is why I stopped. I hate to think I'd left her in a pickle. Once I'd checked all was safe and she was contacting the RAC and calm, I continued my (short) journey home- having told her not to start the car etc. It was in a safe place.
--

Smile for the camera ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ

On 12/10/2018 15:37, Brian Reay wrote:

Well done, too many people are frightened to offer assistance, 'just in case'
On 12/10/2018 17:01, MrCheerful wrote:

True but I'd hate to think of my wife or daughters in such a situation. Others had driven by- there was a stream of traffic. We were returning from a day out (we had some visitors staying we'd taken out for the day) and it wasn't a big deal to stop for a few minutes.
--

Smile for the camera ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ

On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 17:22:53 +0100, Brian Reay wrote:

Sadly the people behind you didn't see it that way. Thanks to the EU and Globalisation we now live in a country where all the old values have been largely extinguished and so many people are tired, over-worked and super- stressed. Wouldn't have happened like this back in the 60s and 70s.
On 13/10/2018 13:49, Cursitor Doom wrote:

Why, they weren't delayed, there was place to pull in, out of the stream of traffic.

People don't have to let outside influences determine their values.
--

Smile for the camera ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ

True. But many were just waiting until naked greed became socially acceptable.
--
*IF ONE SYNCHRONIZED SWIMMER DROWNS, DO THE REST DROWN TOO?

That is just an excuse for their own failings.
--

Smile for the camera ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ

Sad to know you are so easily lead by others into behaving in a way contrary to your nature.
--
*CAN VEGETARIANS EAT ANIMAL CRACKERS?

On Mon, 8 Oct 2018 23:54:46 +0100, Peter Hill

Oil pressure switch? ... (Corsa x 2)
Cheers, T i m
On 11/10/2018 23:25, T i m wrote:

almost a service item:)
On 12/10/2018 08:13, MrCheerful wrote:

I had a Toyota Celica oil pressure sender can leak at the crimped joint.
But as the oil pressure port is usually low down on the side of the block near the sump joint it won't spew oil on the manifold.
On 12/10/2018 09:02, Peter Hill wrote:

Corsa has it right at the top on the front
On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 09:30:19 +0100, MrCheerful
As you say, it's as easy to get at as the oil filter (that is on the top right). ;-)
Cheers, T i m