dealers name on Reg. plate for MOT ?

I bought some reg. plates from ebay, which do not have any dealer name on them, will this be ok for the MOT ? It's an 02 car but the MOT website does not mention it, only the spacing/ font... Maybe I'll put the tatty old ones in the boot just in case, although I suppose the MOT garage can always make up some new ones if needed :)

Simon

Reply to
mr p

it is not a requirement

Reply to
MrCheerful

mr p ( snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yes.

Reply to
Adrian

In addition to removing dealer fitted rear window stickers (usually insisting that this is done by the seller of the car), I also paint out the branding on reg. plates with yellow & white paint. I refuse to provide free advertising. Brand/dealer names on reg. plates have absolutely no bearing on the MOT test.

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

Terry D ( snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Bet that looks *quality*...

Correct, but it is a legal requirement for new plates made in England and Wales to identify the manufacturer of them (including the postcode)

Reply to
Adrian

Why not charge them for the advertising?

Reply to
Brian

The message from "Brian" contains these words:

Plates now have to be made showing the name and (IIRC) the phone number of the firm that makes them.[1] Of course, there's nothing to stop you covering it up again as soon as you get them home.

[1] Actually, it may just be the postcode - I can't find a definitive answer without spending too much time arseing about.
Reply to
Guy King

I've seen a few cars with the name of the dealer in small letters next to the make/model badges on the rear of the car. Physically stuck onto the paintwork! They weren't courtesy cars either. I always (heh, only had 2 cars!) remove the dealer sticker from the window and would never buy a car which had the dealer name anywhere on anything else other than the reg plates and tax disc holder (ie. easily removable etc).

David Hearn

David Hearn ( snipped-for-privacy@NOswampieSPAM.org.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Only a few?

It seems to have be SOP for most dealers for quite a few years - either stickers or plastic plaques.

Reply to
Adrian

Some people are probably *happy* to get an extra badge on the car.

Reply to
Mark W

Veloces stick a

sticker around the boot lock on their used Alfas.

I'm afraid to try and remove it.

Reply to
SteveH

You could specify that they don't put one on as part of the deal when you buy the car... I have noticed Wilsden Autos put the hideous old car sticker on their sales - I would walk out without paying when I went to pick it up if they put that crap on.

Not wanting to give out free advertising: other hideous sticker applying dealers are available

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

They put them on before they hit the forecourt.

Doesn't matter how much you hate the stickers, it's not worth walking away from a nice car and a decent deal for the sake of a poxy sticker.

Reply to
SteveH

I always take dealer reg plates as a good indicator that there's less chance the car has been crashed and repaired, or at least, if it has, the repair may have been done by an approved bodyshop. (that's manufacturer approved, not the s**te peddled by insurance companies).

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Mine has the postcode in 10 point, but the dealers name is in something like

24 point...

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

Get 'em made in Ireland - at

for example, and no paperwork hassle either.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Interesting how they can get away with that, as they in the UK (Northern Ireland) but the regulations only cover manufacturers/ assemblers in England and Wales. Do you think the government hadn't worked out that mail-ordering these things from elsewhere in the UK would bypass the law?

BobC

Reply to
BobC

I did inform my dealer that i would walk from the deal if they gave me number plates with the EU flag on it.

Gaz

Reply to
Gaz