Dealing With a Car thats off the road.

AFAIR my insurance covers me for any vehicle I have full licence to drive. Presumably that covers all vehicles that can be driven with an ordinary car licence, inc trannies and small lorries. Also includes any size m/cycle. I don't think I'll ever use that. :-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

So you would have to get into it on private land (as of course the owner could not leave it on a public highway without it being insured) and also park it on private land, otherwise the owner? is also committing an offence.

If you left it on the road, forgot to put the handbrake on, and it rolled back and killed someone for instance, would you as the person to have driven it last and indeed parked it be liable in anyway or as soon as you step out of it do you release any responsibility to it?

Will

Reply to
Will Reeve

I answered this point in another n/g.

Quote. ."When you borrow a car, you are in charge of that car. That means you are responsible for it as long as it's in your possession. That responsibility doesn't end as soon as you walk away from it, apart from when you hand it back to it's owner. If the car, after parking, rolled away and caused an accident or damaged property, you would be held responsible, as the person who allowed it to happen. And you and your insurance would liable for any damage it caused.

Cars do not have or need, insurance against 3rd party claims. However, the law requires that any car on the road, must be in the charge of an insured driver." Unquote. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

: I answered this point in another n/g.

With all due respect, how do you know what you said was right? It may be, but quoting yourself as an authority has some circularity problems ...

Cheers,

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

ahhhhhhhhh

its likes asking somone to drive my car to the mot station for me, been off the road for a year and i wouldnt think there ins policy would take over and cover it as its not insured by mine.

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

It wasn't meant to sound that way. I'm certainly not an authority regarding car insurance.

I don't suggest anyone should take my word for it, but unlike many posters on the subject apparently, my opinion is not based purely on conjecture, but upon a careful reading of my policy, and the answer I was given by a solicitor when I raised the same point.

You must agree it makes far more sense than to say an insurance policy that covers you drive another car, lapses as soon as you get out of it.

If that were so, don't you think that condition would be clearly stated in the policy?

And it doesn't matter whether the owner has it insured or not. If the car rolls away whilst it's in your possession, any claim will be against you, as the driver. Not the owner or keeper.

I would suggest that those that believe any differently should check for themselves, as I did. Passing on their speculative interpretation of what these policy conditions actually mean, only leads to confusion, which is worse IMO than saying nothing at all.

But to emphasise. Anyone who is particularly concerned, should ask someone in the legal dep't of their insurance Co. NOT someone in customer services. All too often they will get it wrong. Just think of ISP helplines to get the idea. :-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Don't see why - a Transit Van is a "car" as far as tax class and licensing class is concerned. Your licence allows you to drive Category B Vehicles, which are vehicles of no more than 3.5 tonnes. Matters not that they look like a car, a van, a lorry, a sofa or an orange.

Reply to
Paul Cummins