Demister rear window very slow...

What could be the reason that the demister on my car is working very slow (5 year old car, bought second hand)

Thanks

Reply to
ICE

It's November.

Reply to
Conor

If all the 'bars' are working, you could check for good supply voltage to the HRW, and more importantly a good earth to the bodywork. - Especially on a hatchback where the hinge pins form the earth conductor. In this case a secondary earth from tailgate to chassis will no doubt improve things enormously.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

one bar is not working, could this be the cause? Can it be repaired?

"Tim.." schreef in bericht news:dlv4o7$iei$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...

Reply to
ICE

One single bar or wire not working is unlikely to affect the performance of the HRW greatly- and no it cant be repaired.

Low supply volts are the more likely culprit.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

What would be a normal voltage? Can I just measure it with a voltmeter?

Thanks

"Tim.." schreef in bericht news:dm1m8r$men$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...

Reply to
ICE

Dont top post.

As close to 12v, preferably more (with engine running obviously) as you can get.

Dont forget to measure volt drop across the earth too.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

Usually. Halfords sell a silver loaded 'paint' for this purpose - quite expensive, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Same as the battery - a nominal 12 volts.

Yes.

I'd also extend the test leads with a bit of wire - anything will do - and check from the battery positive to the window positive. This will show any voltage drop in the circuit. Repeat between the battery negative and window ground terminal. Adding the two together should give no more than

0.5 volts.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)