Diagnostic software.

Read somewhere that it's possible to purchase software that will run on your laptop and diagnose your car: or maybe interface with the car's electronic system. Where can I get into on this?? Thanks John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain

Reply to
jhewitt

I suspect the software is car specific and I doubt if it can easily be bought by a non authorised dealer. OTOH, speak sweet words to a mechanic who works for the main dealer and he may make you a copy!

Reply to
Alasdair

AIUI some of them are dongle protected, so a copy would be no use in that instance.

Dave

Reply to
Morse

Is this something like you are after

there are quite a few free software applications for interrogating your cars obd facility but often you require the interface £40 +

Gio

Reply to
Gio

Stuff seems to becoming available for OBD compliant cars after about

2000 for around the £250 mark. I've had a couple of mailshots. Thats for plug in lead PC to OBD and software. Before 2000 its hopeless as every manufacturer used different plugs and software. So I suppose we have something to thank the Yanks for.

Al

Reply to
Al Gorithm

The Americans made OBDII compliance compulsory from Jan 1st 1996. In Europe we tinkered with the standard, eventually coming up with E-OBDII from 2001.

Some European cars older than this will still be compliant, but with no guarantees.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan