Hair coming out of the exhaust pipe!

I noticed today a trail of 'hair' coming out of the exhaust of my 1995 Rover

416. Is this the silencer going? Also, is it likely to affect the emissions?

Any advice please before I make a wig out of it!

David

Reply to
David Lane

You're quite sure some hairy animal hasn't gone into the exhaust for some shelter/warmth and the gases are de-hairing it??

Reply to
Alasdair

Its the wadding from one of the silencers, probably the back box.

Emissions will be fine, but if the wadding gets jammed and blocks the exhaust, you'll find the car will hardly have any go ...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

The message from "David Lane" contains these words:

The mouse on the treadmill has moulted.

Reply to
Guy King

Have you tried nostril trimmers?

Reply to
Marvin

"David Lane" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net:

Those bloody cats.

Reply to
Tunku

Yes, it is the sound deadening material from the silencer. It also needs sorting as a matter of some urgency: if it causes a blockage, the weakest point for the resulting pressure to escape from is probably through the wall of the catalytic converter. This is quite spectacular and very expensive!

Reply to
Stephen Leak

Thanks - I've pulled as much as I can and will keep pulling!

David

Reply to
David Lane

Just ask that Phil bloke a few threads down there somewhere.

Reply to
Malc

David Lane ( snipped-for-privacy@dsl.pipex.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Is it grey?

Reply to
Adrian

Silvery-grey yes, which I'm guessing is the sound-deadening baffle.

David

Reply to
David Lane

Reply to
Matthew Millichap

Or a dead squirrel

Reply to
Marvin

Matthew Millichap ( snipped-for-privacy@myitmatters.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Not at all... It's just that grey hair starting to go bald seems very appropriate for a Rover...

Reply to
Adrian

It also seems very appropriate for Rover owners.

Wait a minute, I AM a Rover owner. And yes, the above two apply.

Reply to
David Lane