LDV Convoy gearing

I have a 1999 Convoy, with the basic, non turbo and no nasty electronics, Ford Di motor. I do quite a lot of motorway miles and feel the standard gearing is too low. At 60 mph it's revving it's nuts off and when fully loaded, feels like it would easily take a higher fifth. The difference between fouth and fifth gear seems very small. Even when towing a Range Rover on a trailer for a mate for 200 miles the other day,(2.5 tons+ ??) it managed most of the motorway trip in fifth , so I am sure as I am running solo 98% of the time, it would be fine with a higher fifth gear. I don't fancy running a higher ratio diff, as I occasionally tow trailers and would like to keep a low first gear for hill starts. I've tried to find info regarding gear ratios etc, but have not met with much success. I suspect some Transit gearboxes have a higher ratio fifth and I'm wondering about fitting one of these. Does anyone know where I can get this info?, as I dont know if my hearing will last much longer. Any help,suggestions,comments etc, would be much apprecatied.

Thanks.

Reply to
Andy Tightgit

The message from snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com (Andy Tightgit) contains these words:

They had fly-by-wire injection pumps by then, didn't they?

Do a Google for "mt75+ratio" and see what comes up.

Reply to
Guy King

Shouldn't run out of Revs till 75-80, quick check is it should hit the rev limiter at 65 in 4th, it might have lower ratio diff. However they're all noisy from new.

Reply to
DuncanWood

I reckon you're about right there, I've had it at 75 + before now, but it uses oil and lots more fuel if you do more than 60.( I get about 32 mpg at60. )I assume these gearboxes have fifth tagged on the back of the box, if so I could put a higher ratio pair in pretty easily as the box seems perfect. I would'nt be surprised if the turbo model is higher geared. Andy

Reply to
Andy Tightgit

Ford scorpios have 0.73 (diesel ) or o.83 (others). Mine seems lower than 0.83. I'll have to get underneath and try to estimate the ratio.

Reply to
Andy Tightgit

The message from snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com (Andy Tightgit) contains these words:

If you pop into a Frod dealer they should be able to tell you from the chassis number.

Reply to
Guy King

Ahh now I've never had one that used oil. Used to get a consistent 28 but then I used to drive it loaded.

Reply to
DuncanWood

replying to Andy Tightgit, Antjp wrote: My ldv convoy is at 3000 rpm at 60mph. If you dare do 70 it's 3500rpm. I only do

50-55mph in it because of this. 50mph is 2500rpm. Is there anything I can do to get 60mph at 2500rpm
Reply to
Antjp

Change the final drive.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or fit wheels/tyres with a 20% bigger circumference. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Change the back axle for a more suitable ratio (smaller number to 1 than the unit you have) or fit an overdrive, or fit the 5 speed box if it has a 4 speed, or just buy a vehicle that is already better suited to what you want.

Reply to
MrCheerful

At higher than normal pressure. ;-)

I'm not actually sure what axle LDV uses and what alternative ratios can be found. They are all low geared because they are vans designed to carry heavy loads locally rather than bomb up and down the motorway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I got the feeling the OP was after some sort of simple "magic" upgrade (like remapping the engine) to achieve his desire, although I could be wrong. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+
[...]

They have three alternative ratios based on plated weight. If the OP has the highest weight capacity, but runs empty, it will seem *very* low-geared.

Even with the highest ratio axle, high motorway revs at modest speeds was a common complaint (amongst many!) with drivers of these vans. They were cheap for a reason.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Place I once worked for had Sherpa V-8s. And they were very low geared too. Even when loaded they started off in second easily - on a 5 speed box. I suppose BL thought there no real point in competing with Merc etc for motorway use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)