Do scrapyards pay for cars now?

Do scarpyards pay you for cars if they come to collect it? Could be half a tank of petrol in etc. Do you bother to remove any bits, such as the battery? Or is it just a waste of time keeping a battery, as unless its used will die. How long does it take a battery to die when just standing?

Reply to
Dave Kinder

You might get 20 quid or so - scrap metal prices went up slightly earlier in the year. But probably the best you can hope for is free disposal if you deliver to them...

Reply to
chris

The one I go to won't even pay you if you bring the car round. They

*charge* you £22 for that. No wonder so many cars get abandoned.
Reply to
John Prendergast

The message from Dave Kinder contains these words:

I got £20 for a Maestro a few weeks ago. I'd taken off the head, the starter, the alternator, the battery (which is in good nick and will get a gentle charge every few weeks) all the bulbs, several bits of trim which fit the Montego and an engine mount.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (John Prendergast) contains these words:

I've not seen an abandoned car for months.

Reply to
Guy King

The trick is not to take it to a breakers yard, but a scrap metal place. Breakers yards don't want old shit - scrap metal dealers will taken anything regardless.

Peter

-- "The truth is working in television is not very glamorous at all. I just go home on my own at night and sit alone and eat crisps."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I was almost going to call you a tightass about keeping the bulbs, but it's a bloody good idea, as there's never a shop around to buy them from when you need one!

What made me chuckle a while back is when a mate of mine told me about his ex's Dad, who drained out the washer fluid from his old Sierra before part-exing it in. Now that's tight.

Peter

-- "The truth is working in television is not very glamorous at all. I just go home on my own at night and sit alone and eat crisps."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

He sounds like the kind of guy who would .....

- take off a few self tappers just in case he ever needs them

- refit the old fan belt

- refit the old spark plugs and distributor cap

- take out some bulbs and replace them with old duff ones

- pump out the petrol and only leave a few thimblefulls in the tank

- drain out some engine oil to be used as a top up

- drain the anti freeze and fill the system with water

- wipe the grease off the striker plate and catch

:-)

Reply to
Roach

I'm sure I've bought his old car. Several times >_

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

From yorkshire, was he?

Reply to
James Dore

The message from "AstraVanMan" contains these words:

They took my Maestro!

Reply to
Guy King

I just kinda presumed you'd taken it to a scrap metal merchant instead.

Peter

-- "The truth is working in television is not very glamorous at all. I just go home on my own at night and sit alone and eat crisps."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

The message from "AstraVanMan" contains these words:

Nope, TMS, the local breakers came round and collected it, and left me with a £20 note clutched in my grubby little mitt. And a tear in my eye.

Reply to
Guy King

Meeooww!!

Reply to
krystnors

Then he took it straight to the local scrap metal yard, left with a £50 note clutched in his grubbier little mit. And a glint in his eye :-)

Reply to
SimonJ

The message from "SimonJ" contains these words:

No, I saw it in the breakers a few days later.

Reply to
Guy King

Scrapped a Rover 416GTi a few weeks ago - they paid me a tenner *and* collected it! Mind you, I didn't tell them I'd already stripped out everything of use such as the leather seats, driveshafts, windows, etc!

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

Reply to
Stuart Gray

close but not 100%

You missed out drain and refill with some manky old coolant, brake and clutch fluid. Going on what I've seen in "FSH" cars at dealers that's normal trade practice.

Peter Hill