driving downhill - fuel consumption

Confused here. Julian's saying the freewheel helps, coz on the hill with the throttle shut, the engine runs slower than it would without a freewheel and it's the fast running with the shut throttle which hurts.

How does your quoted paragraph disagree with that?

clive

Reply to
Clive George

I don't think it does, you know. Nowadays _nobody_ goes very fast.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

If the freewheel is disengaged, it is exactly the same as if no freewheel was fitted.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

you cannot take a test in many older vehicles, in particular anything without a headrest springs to mind.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

"Mrcheerful" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Care to point us to a reference for that?

Reply to
Adrian

I will:

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Ian gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Thanks.

So it would be possible to take a test in many "older vehicles", including those with freewheels. 62mph achievable speed and a headrest seem to be the only real restrictions.

Reply to
Adrian

Ian gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Thanks.

So it would be possible to take a test in many "older vehicles", including those with freewheels. 62mph achievable speed and a headrest for the passenger seem to be the only real restrictions.

Reply to
Adrian

"Safer not to coast"?

Many years ago they actually made cars that would automatically disengage the gearbox as you lifted your foot off the accelerator and re-engage it when you pressed the accelerator again this allowing the car to coast whether on the flat or downhill.

They even used to use pre-engaged gearboxes as well, four wheel drive, anti-lock breaking, basic electronic controls that would 'cut' the ignition pulses that allow 8 cylinder cars to run on 4 cylinders and run cars with two-stroke engines - there really is nothin' new under the sun.

Reply to
Unbeliever

You seem to be confusing "economical" with "advisable".

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

heh, I missed off the " ;-) "

My bro once had a BX go "flat" on him on the motorway, reckoned it was like being in a high speed sledge with wheels :-)

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

I'm a Saab owner - not two-stroke of course. You can have my opinion for what it's worth though. Julian's argument is well ahead for plausibility but I'm still listening. I think we need more info on exactly how a closed throttle can lead to over, rather than under oiling.

We'd have to check that none of those cars had a separate lubrication system - later Saabs certainly did.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

I wonder if for health and safety they would insist the car had seat belts?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

They were terrible to drive with the suspension flat, absolutely like a rock, every bump hurt you.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Not that many years ago - I was driving one in the mid 60s (1949 rover)

Geo

Reply to
Geo

Ouch. Shouldn't they stay up for a while without the pump running though?

It was bad enough when the accessory belt broke on the Saab a couple of weeks ago, and all I lost then was the power steering. At least it gave me plenty of opportunity to hone my coasting-with-the-engine-off technique, but I still lost about a litre of coolant in the half a mile back to the house.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

They do stay up a little without the pump, unless they are totally f**cked... His was. A junction box at the back failed and emptied most of the LHM all over the place.

Mike p

Reply to
Mike P

They're just as bad with flat spheres!

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Adrian, your news client/service is FUBAR...

Reply to
Abo

Given my experience downhill in a GSA, no, not if a hose splits.

Reply to
Duncan Wood