How to remove dried seagull $hit

The local seagulls have emptied their bowels onto my car (again) and the stuff has set hard on the paintwork. Apart from elbow grease and lots of hot soapy water, is there a proprietary compound one can use to soften and dissolve the crap? I'm wondering if drain-unblocking fluid (the stuff that dissolves the blockage) might work, but I don't want to damage the paintwork. Any pearls of wisdom out there?

It should rain later today so that might make things easier to shift...

Reply to
A.Clews

T-cut?

Reply to
grape

Cover with wet newspaper for an hour first ?

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

Thus spake grape ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk) unto the assembled multitudes:

Don't think so... I'm looking for something that'll soften or dissolve the crap splats without touching the paintwork, rather than something abrasive. The other respondent's suggestion (for which thanks) of wet newspaper might be better (I'm currently thinking of putting some wet rags on the splatters overnight).

Two of the worst splatters are purple...lets hope they don't stain (it's silver paintwork)!

Reply to
A.Clews

Drain unblocking compound dissolves all sorts of things, depending on which it is, but they all stain paintwork. Car washes are a good solution

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Thus spake Duncan Wood ( snipped-for-privacy@dmx512.co.uk) unto the assembled multitudes:

Believe me, this crap has set so hard it'll take more than a carwash to shift it. Last time this happened I used a piece of wood (very carefully!) to scrape the crap off and just prayed it wouldn't take the paint with it. I'll try the soaked rags tonight and see what happens!

Reply to
A.Clews

Soaking is the way to go then, add a bit of car shampoo , followed by hard wax to make it easier next time.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Much easier. I had some bird shit on my bonnet - possibly owl. There's a good coat of wax on the bonnet, and after it'd sat there for a day or so I gave it a bit of a poke with the end of a key, and it just dropped straight off the bonnet. More usually that would have required some soaking time...

Reply to
Doki

They really should make cars out of bird crap as they would last forever. Just like they should make exhaust systems out of Gun Gum.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Thus spake Doki ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) unto the assembled multitudes:

Yes, I keep meaning to wax my car, but I only wash it once every couple of months anyway. There's a lesson learned then :-)

Reply to
A.Clews

Thus spake Rob graham ( snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com) unto the assembled multitudes:

I could start collecting seagull $hit, package it and then market it as some wonderful, 100% natural strong adhesive. Maybe it really *is* true that you can sell people $hit and get rich! :-)

Reply to
A.Clews

In message , snipped-for-privacy@DENTURESsussex.ac.uk writes

It's true, Google guano....

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Well, to my surprise this evening's rain did the job for me. Left the car outside for a couple of hours in the rain (and then only light rain), and the gull guano was soft enough simply to wipe off without any fuss. Corblimey, who'd a thought it, eh.

Reply to
A.Clews

You'd make more by advertising that you can run your car on it.

Reply to
Mark W