driving downhill - fuel consumption

Doki explained on 21/06/2008 :

The standard feeding through method has the advantage of giving your muscles better torque, hence better control - but...

a. It needs both hands to be available for the wheel at all times during a turn - so sometimes on a strange road you can get caught out by the need to change gear mid way through a bend.

b. It is usually slower than simply keeping a firm grip of the wheel and turning it.

I use a mix of both methods, whatever best suites the situation at the time. I also do not have a problem driving with crossed arms.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Pedant on: not with foot operated handbrakes, push button ones and automatic handbrakes !!!! Pedant off.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

No it doesn't, removal of the key must occur before the lock operates. Try it for yourself.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

One manufacturerwas building new cars with carbon thrust bearings until 2001. But you're right - the car I was referring to is from

1969.

Herald (engine) thrust bearings are notoriously weak. I suspect the problem is overstated, but it seems reasonable to take an easy precaution.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

I'm intrigued as to how you think that could possibly matter. The cover plate turns with the engine. The release bearing is fastened to the gearbox. How do you think their relative velocity is affected by what the driven plate and input shaft are doing?

Or, to put it another way, imagine a flywheel rotating at 1,000rpm with the clutch depressed. What do you think you can do to the input shaft which will change the rotation at the release bearing?

Well, if we're willy-waving qualifications, I'll see your C&G and raise you three degrees in mechanical engineering.

Almost as if there is a little slippage as the release bearing is brought up to speed on each application of the clutch, isn;t it?

Ian

Reply to
Ian

That's the daft contradiction. We are told that it's wrong to coast because you couldn;t instantly accelerate if necessary - and yet it's fine to be in top almost to a standstill. How much acceleration (if needed) is any car going to have at 10mph in top?

Ian

Reply to
Ian

I did once have to drive the DS about 30' with the suspension flat (don't tell the owners' club). It wasn't terribly comfortable, I admit. Mind you, it didn't - I discovered - have any bump stops then.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Depends on the car. This was a Mark II Escort. I turned the key to '0' and the steering lock clicked on.

YMMV.

Reply to
PCPaul

Ian gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Reply to
Adrian

2001! Who was that? I'd have thought it would be more expensive to be the only manufacturer using carbon ones than to fall into line with the others.

If I had one of those, I'd be tempted to do loads of gratuitous declutched coasting, just to test the theory ;o)

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Then ITYF it had a fault, the design spec. includes no activation till the key comes out as a safety feature. I had several mk 1 and 2 escort and none locked till after the key came out.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Heh trust Leyland! I wonder how much you could affect the life on them by adjusting your clutch usage...

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Could easily be. It was a knackered old car and the ignition was so worn it could be easily started with a screwdriver.

Whatever, I was there, you weren't. It happened.

Reply to
PCPaul

Yes, it does.

Reply to
grape

Why? It's a waste of fuel, just let it slow down in gear, thus cutting the fuel and saving yourself a few pence. Or just keep your foot down till the last moment and brake hard :)

Reply to
DanB