Driving with leaking PAS - consequences?

If I drive a car with no power steering fluid in it what will happen? Will the pump explode into bits due to metal on metal and heat and rip the belt off? Or will the pump just stop working? Can I simply just drive it like a non- PAS car if the PAS stops working completely without any other problems? Because the belt also drives the water pump.

Its an old car and the fluid is leaking.Car works ok but cost of new pump is more than car is worth. Am trying to find a 2nd hand one from somewhere but in meantime I'd still like to drive the car.

The power steering is still working at the moment as put fresh fluid in, but will leak out and start whining again. Bearings sound a bit rattly, is it likely to be just a seal thats gone or will it need a new pump?

Reply to
Ken Bates

Sounds like it needs a new pump.

Ideally you'd be able to bypass it, but, given that it's also running the water pump, that option isn't open to you.

If you continue driving it without fluid, then you'll not only have a scrap pump but you'll also be looking for a new rack.

That's if the fluid isn't already leaking from the rack.....

Reply to
SteveH

A whole new steering rack? Why would it need this? IYou mean the steering will stop working?

Some of these cars came without PAS so it should be possible to bypass the PAS with some modifications (a different belt I think)? Is the PAS rack different to a non PAS rack?

Reply to
Ken Bates

No.

The racks are different. If you run a PAS rack without fluid in the system, then it won't be lubricated, damaging the metal.

Reply to
SteveH

The message from Ken Bates contains these words:

Have you tried driving it with the PAS not actually working? You may have a bit of a shock. Park it on a hill (obviously choose somewhere away from traffic and kids etc) and let it roll forwards and see if you can safely steer without the engine on. You'll find it's a complete bastard to control.

Don't forget, you'll not have servo-assist on the brakes after the first few presses either, so don't go mad.

Reply to
Guy King

Yes I tried driving it with no power steering and it was heavy but not so bad at normal speed.

I thought the PAS had gone altogether but it sprung back to life when I top the fluid up fully as I hadnt put enough in.

I think if I could seal the leak ok then everything would be fine. Any ideas how to do this?

The PAS system and steering must be pretty sturdy to abuse.Doesn't seem like instant failure due to low fluid not like an engine. Even though the fluid maybe low I presume the internal system still wont be totally dry. Have tried putting some PAS stop leak in it but hasn't solved the problem, maybe just slows the leakage down a bit.

Reply to
Ken Bates

Depends where the leak is. If it's from a hose or union it might be fairly easy to fix, just by replacing the leaking hose. If it is from the pump drive shaft, it'll need a new/recon or leak free s/h pump fitting..

As long as you keep topping up, there's little chance of complete failure. Even when the steering starts to get heavy through letting the oil level drop too low, providing it is topped up, the chances are that the pump will not suffer any permanent damage. The rack will certainly be OK, unless the system is not topped up, and the pump starts disintegrating through lack of oil

Have tried putting some PAS stop leak in it but hasn't

Top up or replace are your only options IMO. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Actually replace is your only option, as a leak from the PAS is an MOT fail. Try the online parts services like Breakerlink - I got a good replacement pump for my Previa for £30 +P&P from the second call, which came within ten minutes of putting the request out.

Reply to
Chris Bolus