Focus PAS

Following on from the ladder and alternator incicident we find that it nailed the PAS as well.

Firstly Ford want £13 a litre for their special Ford coded fluid. Any ideas if I can use Dexron IID at about a fifth of the price without upsetting anything? The Ford stuff is red just like Dexron as it happens....

There is a little one way valve undneath the union of the offending pipe. Cannot see where the other pipe goes but I suspect it's the high pressure supply. Is it really necessary? I ask as it's been distorted anyway and doesn't work as an one way anything anymore. Ford will sell me a new rack, but no way can I get a new valve (doesn't even show on their computer)

TIA

Reply to
Chris Street

Normal ATF (Dexron etc) fluid will do.

Where about exactly is this valve?

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Thanks.

It goes behind the pipe that feeds high pressure fluid in from the pump, set up to allow the pump to send fluid into the rack but not out the other way. It's small, same diameter as the pipe and about 4mm deep with a little spring loaded plate in the centre.

Reply to
Chris Street

If it's actually part off the rack, then the chances off getting one seperate are very slim. Unfortunetly it's the way most things are now. If you do end up getting a new rack, if you intend keeping the car for a while, I'd recommend you get a genuine ford rack. I've seen far too many aftermarket racks go faulty within relative short periods of time.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Yes that what it seems like. Ford want £475 for their rack or about £159 for a remanufactured one from a local independant. I'm tempted to stick the whole ting back together first though without it and see how well it all works!

Reply to
Chris Street