Date Codes

I have a 66 "C" code hardtop that I'm putting a four barrel onto. Though the car calls for a two barrel, I want to keep the numbers and date codes on the new parts correct. By the way, the car was made in San Jose, so it has the Termactor system on it. I have found a '66 manifold with a casting code of C6OE-9425-B and a date stamp of 6J19 which translates to Sept. 19th 1966. My question is this. Shouldn't a September date code be for the following production year? It seems really late in the year to be casting large engine parts for a year that is done. The '67s should have been in production then. Since my car has an Oct. 11th 1965 sell date, (and I know this because my father bought the car new off of a show room floor in '65) Does that mean I need a date stamp of 5J19?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Garza

I have found a '66 manifold with a casting code of

following

production then.

because my

A car sold new on October 11, 1965, should have no date codes later than about late August 1965. But if your dad was the original owner and he's sure that the manifolds were never changed, what are ya gonna do? All kinds of anomalies could happen with these cars. It could be that on September 9, 1965, old Rufus at the foundry put the wrong year digit in the mold before they started pouring the iron that day. At the time nobody really gave a s**t, no one had any idea such an anomaly would ever matter to anyone, and life went on. As another example: Laurie S. of this NG, who is the original owner of a '68 coupe, gets grief at every judging because her dealer put a square bezel radio antenna on her car, and the MCA judges insist that nothing but round ones were ever used.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

Reply to
Paul Garza

My guess is they went to the 67 date stamp in calendar year 67. I think a date stamp has more to do with when it was made and not what model year car it was going on. In case a bad batch is discovered, they'd want to know how to ID which units were made during a specific day...some date stamps even specify which shift it was.

DP Pics of the cars:

Dinsdale

Exactly correct. The date code is the date the part was made, including year, month, and day. To get a correct date coded part, look for a date code from ~1 month before the build date of the vehicle.

Reply to
66 6F HCS