Early MOT and failure

My current MOT expires on the 15th of this month, so I've got it booked in for this Thursday (8th).

I don't expect it to fail but if it does, can I still legally drive the car until it's true expiry date of 15th?

I only ask because earlier today I found out I've got to drive to the in-laws on Friday night and they live 100 miles away so if it does fail I won't have time to get it fixed before this necessary journey - well, either that or I'll have to go by train.

Reply to
Pete Zahut

It still has valid MOT certificate, so this paperwork is OK. However, you can always be fined if the car is deemed unroadworthy. Failing MOT doesn't necessarily mean that the car is unroadworthy.

Reply to
johannes

If you mean does failing an MOT in itself make it illegal to drive, then no.

What it fails on may make you liable for prosecution if discovered of course.

There are two ways to look at this; if you get it tested on Thurs, you will know whether it is sensible or not to make the trip Friday. OTOH, if you delay the test until next week, and then get stopped for something minor like a light out, it would be better to be able to say you didn't know.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

All depends on what it fails on. The car must be safe to drive at all times. I.e a failed horn wouldn't make the car unsafe but it would fail an MOT.

Reply to
Ted

Pete Zahut brought next idea :

Thanks folks, that's great.

Reply to
Pete Zahut

A horn not working might make it unsafe for the guy you hit after your brakes fail and you can't sound it to warn him you're heading for his arse :(

A better example IMHO is failure on the rear seat belts if you don't have any rear seat passengers.

Reply to
Robin