Early MOT?

Because I'm planning on taking a 1,000+ trip to France in a couple of months I'm intending to have my car serviced soon, it last had a service and MOT (its first MOT) in August 2007.

Even though the MOT isn't due until August would it be permissable to do one now? Just means that I won't have to take the car into be looked at again this year.

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

Do MOTs as often as you like. You may get a 13 month MOT in some circumstances.

Reply to
Doki

Mark Hewitt ("Mark Hewitt" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

You could take it for an MOT every day if you wished.

It'll only run for 12months, though - but if you took it within the calendar month prior to the expiry, it'd be for 12months from the expiry date of the previous one.

As far as "planning on a 1,000+ mile trip, so want to do lots of prep work on the car" - I'd regard any car of mine that I _couldn't_ just jump into and do that without any special work as untrustworthy.

Reply to
Adrian

I'd personally be quite happy to jump in the car right now and drive to France. But the girlfriend insists on the lets be sure approach, which I can't really argue with!

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

Have a proper service and full check over say 2-3 weeks BEFORE you go away, if anything is disturbed by the service you dont want it konking the next day on the way to the boat!

If the car is anything remotely problematic like a Peugeot or a Renault, take with you items that are RHD specific- like a clutch cable.

An MOT does not guarentee a car's health, only its road worthyness- and that only during the actual test!

You want pro-active maintanance and decent servicing.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I'd thought of that don't worry! It'll be at least a month, probably more.

Ford Fiesta, so I don't know.

The main reason it's going in is for the service, the MOT is just something that could save me a trip later in the year. AFAICT there's nothing wrong with the car, well not since I changed the tyres last week!

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

also a MOT wont show if the brake pads are low...so they goto the metal while your away..

I have done 3x3k mile trips in a old bimmer...it was fine...nothing i could have checked like computer etc...would have made a differance..but i guess take cables et for RHD like someone else says

Reply to
Jules

It should do and a "service" should do also if you ask them to check it. ...and he probably wouldn't have been able to leave the tyre place if they were more than 1/3rd worn :-)

How old is this car?

One thing I'd recommend if you don't do a lot of driving otherwise, is make sure the wheels are balanced and the tracking is right. It can be annoying driving 1000 miles with wheel wobble!

Reply to
adder1969

It was a backstreet cheapo tyre place, he was interested in changing the tyres, nothing else as he only does tyres.

Registered August 2004

Wheels where balanced when the tyres were installed and seems to be fine.

Reply to
Mark Hewitt