early warning signs auto gearbox

It does have lockup in third and top, top being an overdrive.

Reply to
Chris Street

Many thanks to all... So for a fairly cheap car that has a reliable auto box (from what I think you're saying), I guess it looks the one to go for is an early Yaris ?

I note there are masses more 'one litre' Yariss' ' on the market to choose from than the 1.3. litre model.

Would that difference in engine size on the Yaris make 'all that much' difference, driving on the motorway, I am wondering?

Reply to
jw 1111

I concur. I've never bought an automatic and wouldn't have known to specifically check. :-p

Reply to
DervMan

Yes.

Reply to
DervMan

Now Previas, OTOH, are, apparently, known for slipping auto boxes. I think ours is starting to go because the "whistling" noise under load is getting worse. Bum.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

If you are using it on the motorway get the Focus. The 1.6 is a reasonably good engine (not ideal) but better than the Yaris. As long as you get one after the 01 plates you should find it reliable and nice to drive, will be still fairly pricey though.

Reply to
Chris Street

Especially with an auto. You usually get less ratios so you need a bit more flexibility in the engine. And TBH I wouldn't consider buying a 1 litre anything if I was planning to do a lot of motorway driving.

Reply to
Chris Bolus