Easibleed - how's it work / made?

I'm thinking of making my own pressure bleeder to run off my compressor, or adapting an easibleed, as the pro type kit is expensive for what it is, IMO. All I can see that is needed is a master cylinder cap that seals well, a pressure vessel of some kind with air pressure entering via one tube and brake fluid leaving via a syphon tube. The only bit I'm unsure of is whether a mechanism's used to keep the syphon tube full of brake fluid, or if it's acceptable for there to be a bit of air in there before brake fluid runs through to the reservoir - I suspect that'd depend on whether or not the pipe is below the level of brake fluid in the reservoir.

Anyone care to shed any light?

Reply to
Doki

Yes, just go out and buy the Gunsons kit you pikey! Ebay item no. 290145023310 £15.50 inc.post I've got one and it transforms bleeding the brakes - it is so easy to do it. You only need low pressure, up to 20psi iirc, I use the pressure from a trailer wheel. As for the bleed pipe needing fluid in it at all times, I dont think that is a consideration when pressure bleeding the calipers, as there is pressure there all the time, not just when the pedal is pressed with 'traditional' bleeding, so I never bother. You must make sure that there is sufficient fluid in the master cylider at all times, otherwise you'll be starting from scratch of any air get in at that end. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

you need a very low pressure (around 5 - 15 psi), as soon as the fluid flows any air will end up above the fluid in the reservoir, this is not important, the refilling via pressure is the important bit. If I was building one I would use a dedicated pump, maybe a fish air pump? or similar

Reply to
mrcheerful

A lot simpler if you're going to make your own is to make a gravity feed one. Years ago when the air pipe/valve was U/S on mine I jury rigged it to feed from the container hanging from the top of the garage. It wasn't pretty but it worked a treat.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

You don't actually need a second reservoir - you can simply keep topping up the car one. So all you really need is a spare cap and an air connection through it. But you probably don't want to use your compressor as the pressure needed is very low. A spare wheel set to about 15 psi will do fine. Much more and the fluid will go everywhere when you open a bleed valve.

FWIW the Easybleed is not bad value given the selection of master cylinder caps.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yebbut one of the main advantages of the easibleed is that you're not required to have a second bloke or keep getting up to check the reservoir.

Compressors will regulate down to that very easily - you need to be able to do it for blow ins. I've been told that easibleeds tend to struggle a bit on MK2 Golf braking systems for some reason - one bloke from ClubGTI has bought a pro tool at £300.

I agree. But I can't help but think I'm only ever likely to be bleeding MK2 Golfs in the forseeable future, and would prefer to use a compressor than mess about finding a tyre every time.

Reply to
Doki

The message from "Doki" contains these words:

There's a slight mod to EasiBleeds which makes them more user friendly.

You know how the car's reservoir fills right up so that when you come to replace the float/cap there's too much fluid in there?

Well, if you move the incoming pipe from the bottle so that it projects about an inch into the reservoir, when you release the pressure, the remaining pressure in the car's reservoir pushes the excess fluid back into the bottle!

Reply to
Guy King

You still need to check the second reservoir, though. Unless you used a big one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Err buy an easy bleed & replace the car valve connecter with an air fitting. Fit socket to car valve. Easy life. The posh ones have a membrane to stop the fluid abosrbing more air & give a firmer feel but that's rarely an issue on cars, just about worth it on bikes.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

That was my thought. Something like 2 litre or so.

Reply to
Doki

Dunno. It's used on some mountain bike brakes, some use DOT4 like a normal car. And generally the mineral oil ones seem to be a better option to me...

Reply to
Doki

The biggest problem with mk2's is the rears. you have to position the rear calipers so that the bleed nipple is facing upward to do the best job, just getting the rear calipers off the sliders could be a bugger. Obviously dont forget to stick the compensator valve in the 'full flow' position. While the calipers are out they can be adjusted to give the 1mm clearance for the handbrake too. Easibleed made it a piece of p*ss to bleed it, even after replacing M/cyl and countless pipes.

Chri$

Reply to
<$>