Ecotek CB-26P *PROVED* not to work!

Ecotek's CB-26P has been discussed many many times on these NGs, with most people of the opinion they don't work but a few fans convinced that they do. Ecotek have now (finally!) carried out a set of scientific rolling-road economy and emissions tests on relatively modern cars

todefinitively prove once and for all what the truth is. Summary of results: Oxides of nitrogen (NOx) generally slightly increased Hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide (HC, CO) generally slightly reduced Fuel consumption improved by...wait for it...ONE PERCENT

Yes, that's right, a ONE per cent improvement in fuel consumption - well within the bounds of experimental error, and even if real, insignificant in terms of savings versus cost of fitting. Although the cars tested were from 2001, it seems highly likely that the results would apply equally to any lambda-controlled car; that is to say, anything sold in the UK since 1993.

So it looks like we were right all along! (Anti-triumphalist note: all credit to Ecotek for releasing these results and not just burying them...)

There's a full analysis at

(onlyjust updated so you might need to refresh your brower cache; Ctrl-F5in Internet Explorer). Comments welcome, either here or via email tothe address on the site. Tony

Reply to
www.fuelsaving.info

Ecotek's 'Power Boost' aerosol engine internals cleaner works good though, at least on old engines, I've resurrected a 1986 Nissan Cherry back to it's youthful vigour after 20 years of shopping trips and only 38,000 miles, the difference in throttle response was amazing and the effect has lasted as well, still OK after 9 months. Practical Motorist magazine used it on a getting on for 100,000 mile BMW (can't remember which, it wasn't powerful though) and it gained about 10hp with the treatment. I haven't the courage to try it on a modern engine though, I wouldn't have thought it was needed these days with ECUs and better oils.

Reply to
SteveB

Although I find water decokes old engines anyway.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Duncan top-posted the following :----

Yes! - Just don't try this is a diesel....

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Water always worked for me too. BTW, can you do that on diesel engines? I've often wondered considering how "sooty" they are.

Reply to
Taz

NO, NO, NO - Diesel's compress much more than petrol, water doesn't compress!!! The result is a nice set of broken or bent Con-Rods....

My mates dad drove there 16,000 mile Citroen Diesel through a flood, there was a bang and a piston sticking out the side of the block !

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

I'll not look right now, but I'm conducting my own experiment.

20,000 miles with the device on, more or less, and now I'm currently doing the mileage with the device off.

Early indication is that the same fuel consumption potential is still there. It's impossible to ascertain exact differences in consumption. To be fair the Ka's consumption did improve during the early few records when the unit was put in place and the snap open throttle response was also quicker, but then it was as if the ECU figured out what was going on... :)

I'll drag the Ka without the Ecotek at some point over the next 16K I should think.

The device did make some difference to my engine efficiency plot figures, which whilst I believe is because the Throttle / Calculated Load relationship is distorted (effectively the Throttle figures are artificially low because the ECU is aware of the leak) I can't prove it yet...

Reply to
DervMan

Don't try it too hard ;-) Although decoking a diesels probably a bit pointless.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

You can do that on a Petrol engine as well.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Ummmm, the water treatment involves a spray of water, rather like you'd get if your head gasket was gone. You don't pour down bucket fulls, that would affect a petrol as well as a diesel engine.

Reply to
Taz

The message from "Taz" contains these words:

Provided the amount of water is /very/ strictly controlled. Though personally I'd not care to risk it.

Reply to
Guy King

On my old petrols I used a water spray gun, the type you'd buy in B&Q, I can't see that being harmful to a diesel. It's an ols diesel, non of this HDi crap. I was just wondering if it would be beneficial vis a vis carbon deposits. I'm going to give it a go anyway I reckon. It won't hurt the engine, but it may not make an improvement.

Reply to
Taz

I would say the older diesels are *more* risky, they generally have a much higher compression ratio, between 19:1 and 24:1 whereas modern HDI/TDI Turbos are anything between 17-19:1

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Decoke any engine using WATER?! Surely that's a very bad idea?

Reply to
Kris

The message from "Kris" contains these words:

Why? Engines produce lots of water during combustion and water injection has been in use for half a century at least.

Reply to
Guy King

My wife did the same thing at 24k - didn't actually burst the block, but the subsequent freeze did! Managed to get a new engine out of the insurance company.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

in news:424c6160$0$42304$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net, "Nik&Andy" slurred :

You can do, as long as you don't put too much in - in fact as long as the volume of water is somewhat less than the unswept volume of the cylinder! Exactly the same is true of a petrol engine, of course, but the volume is ~twice that of a diesel, so it's less likely you'll do it by accident...

Quite a few modern cars have the air-intakes low-down on the front, which makes for a nice scoop in deep water -> knackered engine :-(

Reply to
Andrew Kirby

Not really. It'll carry away grime reasonably effectively, you're steam cleaning the inside.

Put a hosepipe on full bore into the carb intake and that's probably a bad idea cause it'll stall the engine and maybe bend something. But that's extreme.

Reply to
Questions

Hello,

Most of us fortunately don't fall for the advertising directed at the boy racers. We have common sense to realise the only thing to make a car go faster is a bigger engine! Just look how much companies make out of young foolish people each year, they buy big wide exhausts and think LOUD=FAST, then air filters to suck in hot air from around the engine - decreasing efficiency. Not to mention the bookshelf glued to the roof known as a spoiler. Many examples of people that were victims of advertising can be seen on the

site. it's sad that because a company says something they will believe every word.

Reply to
Brian

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !

Reply to