Ecotek gets a bollocking courtesy the ASA

I was amused by this line:- "brought in an elderly expert who began the first 20 years of his career as an apprentice with the Ford Motor Company"

20 years as an apprentice!!!?
Reply to
Davemar

In message , Paul Giverin writes

They have now removed references to "an obscure ASA report" in their initial response and have also removed comments about the ASA investigator not being a car owner.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Hmmm, must try that..

You reminded me though that in the mid seventies, when I was stationed in Germany, all squaddies used to bring a bag of 5p pieces back from leave with them since machines which wanted a 1dm would accept a 5p. Given that there are 20 5p' to the £ and the exchange rate at the time was dm6.25/£ it was not a bad scam. I don't think it works with euros though.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

I see the cheeky f**kers have stolen about a quarter of it straight from my own pages!

Needless to say most of their response is bollocks - I have already argued a lot of the points with their lawyers. For a "response to the response", see

I've rushed it out tonight so might well make some updates over the next few days.

Tony

(to reply, replace "nospam" with "fuel")

Reply to
Tony Cains

Reply to
Burgerman

I complained about them to the ASA after talking to the head of the police garage at Hutton Hall, Preston which was cited on the Cataclean website as having given a positive report on Cataclean. Lancs police said they do not endorse Cataclean, so more than adequate grounds for a complaint. Sadly, so far I haven't heard a dicky bird from the ASA. Do they take a long time to respond to complaints?

Or were they submerged under a deluge of complaints about Cataclean?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Have you seen the sales pitch for Cataclean on one of the shopping channels on Sky Digital.

Was flicking through the channels and saw that it was on. Probably repeated regularly as well.

They had some 'experts' there as well. Only watched the first minute as it was typical american rubbish.

LL

Reply to
LiviLion

The message from LiviLion contains these words:

What's that one where they show an engine running inside a block of ice? Pretty, but demonstrates nothing 'cos manufacturers are careful to make sure that their engines will start when cold...at least when new.

Reply to
Guy King

In article , Steve Firth writes

Not even an acknowledgement with a case number? If not, I'd try contacting them again.

I would have thought it'd take tow or three weeks at least.

If they weren't, they should have been.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Nope, not a sausage, bugger all.

Oh sod.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I'll admit to not bothering to read past the first 5,381 pages of that, but it boiled down to Ecotek saying "wouldn't it be a better world with no advertising standards agency". Like, this would make advertisers more honest, presumably.

Still, I already knew they were cowboys shifting snake oil, like a fair few others, so it just fits neatly in with what I would expect.

The best part is the sheer lack of credibility each one generates, reflects badly on the other con merchants and shysters, therefore the poorly managed rebuffs, censorship and pitiful logic skills of one lot of rip-off artists, helps to educate the less cynical about the nature of other "add 50% power for free" folks like CrapaClean and the boys with funny spark plug leads and the rest of them.

Reply to
Sales!

Hi Guy

If you're short of 10p's and needs some 50's to file down I've got an unlimited supply for a £1 each.

Reply to
Steve Sweet