Handbrake on Astra 1.4 LS

After getting rid of the Rover 214, I have got an Astra - 2 years old. Can anyone tell me whether Astras have a known handbrake problem - I have had to
have mine adjusted twice in 2 weeks - I can drive with the handbrake on and even move it fwd or reverse on tickover. It's a bit worrying when parked on a downhill slope at work and I have left it in reverse gear that it still starts to creep down hill!!
Gaynor

and
on
You almost certainly have a brake problem in the shape of one or both wheel cylinders leaking fluid onto the shoes with the attendant loss of friction.
Steve
<Tue, 20 Apr 2004 22:37:34 +0100>

I'm certainly no mechanic - but i think 1st gear would be more effective because of the gearbox ratio .
You could also 'gently' kerb the tyre depending on the hill .
--
http://www.sparesorrepair.co.uk
MOT failures - sometimes given away free to collect

Reverse is generally a lower gear on manual gearboxes.
--
*Organized Crime Is Alive And Well; It's Called Auto Insurance.

You definitely have a brake problem.
Does the car have a service history? If it does, it might be worth calling the servicing dealer and asking them to check the history.
Did you get the work done at a Vauxhall dealer? If you did, take it back, if you didn't, take it to one.
The car is still under manufacturer's warranty so they should investigate for free.
Obviously worn/service parts will not be covered but it sounds like a fluid leak?
--

Alan

New & used Vauxhall cars & vans, servicing, repairs & parts

If you 'had to have it adjusted twice in two weeks' take it back to whoever you paid to do the job. If you ask for a handbrake to be sorted, it should be checked for efficiency afterwards.
--
*Errors have been made. Others will be blamed.

Covering myself in case I've made the same cock-up twice in quick succession, do astras this age have rear disc brakes? If so, it could be the case that the pads are worn down to the point where the anti-rattle springs meet each other in the middle and can't apply the brake properly, as used to happen with early astra front brakes.
Any way you look at it though, it's a brake problem. And for the OP I should point out that in 99% of cars, applying the handbrake uses the same brake components as applying the foot brake, but only at one end, usually the rear. It's not a separate brake, just a different way of applying the same brake. It should have been sorted though. Whenever I work on a handbrake or rear brake, I test it by manually by turning the wheels, or attempting to, both with and without the brakes applied. It sounds like whoever did yours just tightened the cable without jacking it up, which can mean that the brake will bind (fail to release) later.
Steve