Elec Windows - open on their own

Driver side electric windows on my renault Scenic seem a bit dodgy. Work most of the time but sometimes you need to press button twice. However, strangely, sometimes the driver side window will open all by itself when driving down the road.

Any ideas ? I was thinking maybe button problem ?

Reply to
BertieBigBollox

Dont know but theres a lot to be said about the old fashioned manual wind up/down windows .

The passenger window on my hyundai goes down no problem - but going back up its dead slow and a bit juddery - getting to the stage where i'm scared to put it down in case it doesnt go back up .

Reply to
SOR

Can't beat keep-fit windows.

More than likely the runners are dirty or dry. Get some teflon lubricant (don't use anything oil based) and spray it down the runners on each side.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Could be a switch problem, a wiring fault, or a faulty control module. Being a renault, any off the above faults are likely.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Worth a try I suppose - any brand names I should look for in the likes of halfords ? .

Reply to
SOR

I usually use some off my bicycle chain lube that is meant for dry weather. Any spray on teflon rich lube should do the job.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Can`t help if its electric, but the manual winders on Hyundais are known to be flaky from what i`ve read - I had my drivers side replaced at about

5 yrs old (Accent) when all the gears sounded like they`d stripped - luckily it was only down about 1" at the time !
Reply to
Colin Wilson

The other 3 windows are fine & even the electric sun roof works fine . The electric ariel makes groaning grinding noises when it goes up and down or course :-)

Reply to
SOR

I had that too! Maybe our cars were both made on Fridays?

Use to press the button to lower it a small amount and it would go right to the bottom. Very annoying.

Reply to
Gordon Hudson

I had this trouble with a Shogun some years back. It was still under warranty so the dealer, after 3rd visit, gave me an aerosol of special lubricant for rubber which they had been using to 'cure' the problem.

Transpired the problem was with the runners which they eventually replaced.

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

I've replaced the mechanism in hyundais due to the cable corroding and seizing up and things breaking done quite a few

Reply to
George Spigot

I seem to remember the unintended window opening being due to water getting into the control unit which sits under the front seats (passenger side I think) but I can't remember if it was a Scenic or Espace that had that problem.

But seeing your other post about A/C (possibly no refrigerant due to non-use allowing the seals to dry out they crack and you can guess what happens next, v.expensive to fix - new seals and recharge to start then maybe replacement compressor and/or condensor/heat exchanger) and the possible lemon purchase, check everything else in the car, write a list of the faults and have a long chat with the garage. If they are reasonable then it should be sorted, if not then reject the car under the sale of goods acts (if I remember it right you have 7 days, check with CAB or trading standards), get a refund and go buy elsewhere after giving the car a thorough road-test and check everything works... i.e have a good play of all the toys in it.

If I was you after finding the dodgy windows and A/C faulty I wouldn't have bought it.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan