EPC light on

1.6s 16v vw golf 2001.

Was driving along today, the car was running fine. Then the EPC light came on. Not having any idea what this means I consulted the manual which told me to go to a workshop. Everywhere was closed being saturday. So I can't get it checked till monday. I suspect it may need some diagnostic scanner.

The only thing I have done to the car was change the spark plugs the other day. Other than that I'm cluessless.

Any advice on what this means ?

Reply to
Matt

without a code read and reset, there is nothing you can do. Prime suspects are crank sensor or exhaust sensor.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Just given it a few simple checks like ligths etc and none of the brake lights are coming on ? I tried changing the bulbs and no joy there either. I guess this has something to do with it. Blooming worrying I've been driving with no brake lights all day. Suprised some twonk hasn't read ended me.

Reply to
Matt

Twist the switch on the brake pedal off, reset the switch & replace

If you live in the north east, I have VAG-COM

Reply to
A C

After some googling I just found that out. Its the brake light switch, aparantly a common fault. How do I reset the switch, or does it do it by removing it and reinstalling it. I checked my local GSF parts and they have one for a few quid which I think is best to replace it. Will the EPC warning light go off or will I have to pay for a vw place with vag com to reset that light ?

Thanks for the offer, but I'm down in the south.

Thanks

Reply to
Matt

I forgot to ask do you twist the old switch anti clockwise to remove ?

Reply to
Matt

Just push the switch back in, it may have had it though

VW Charged £7.93 inc VAT for the 4pin switch (1C0 945 511 A RDW) & most dealers will stock it

It may reset the warning light but the fault will remain until cleared with Diagnostic Equipment

Reply to
A C

Something like that, it will only turn one way though

Reply to
A C

Managed to di it today. The contacts in the actual mechanism where filthy so took it all apart and cleaned it and put it all back together and tried it and it has worked a treat. Still getting the EPC error which I guess will need resetting via vag com. I tried leaving the battery off for 20 mins which initially worked but then it came back on again.

Seeing as the part is quite cheap I may just buy a new one, fit it and then go and get the error clode cleared. Afterall the part did fail for a reason and not being an expert on them could save the grief of having to get the code cleared again iof it does fail again.

Anyways thanks for your help its been very helpful.

Reply to
Matt

Electronic Petrol Control. Basically the fuel injection system.

Reply to
Conor

Ahhh, after googling it people on some vw forums seem to think its electronic power control and a few others suggested its what you said.

Reply to
Matt

Just for your info, the g/f`s Polo had the same issue, and it ended up being the brake switch. Changing that has fixed the problem - thought this was porth posting both for google, and incase you still had your problems :-)

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the info. I've found this out thourgh a bit of digging. I now have a new brake light switch and all is working again. Aparantly a common fault. The part number for anyone needing it doing is 1J0 945 511F. I had to have the EPC light ault cleared with VAG-COM though as the error still registered with the new switch. The guy who cleared it said it sometimes clears itself or needs a VAG-COM reset. Still alls sorted, thank goodness it was not too serious.

Thanks

Reply to
Matt

Mine didn`t need to be reset, the fault was intermittent initially. As soon as you got someone to check the brake lights they`d work, then the fault would happen again. As soon as the switch was changed its cleared itself and seems quite happy now. If it needs clearing i`ve got VAG-COM anyway. Glad to hear it worked for you, I ended up putting my car into the garage to get it done, as I didn`t have the time to do it myself. Cost £30, which seemed a fair price to me :-)

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

I'm in the process of getting VAG-COM, from what I read some say the cheapy lead from ebay will do some say get a proper one from ross tech, as the cheap ones don't always work properly with all modules then you need to fork out £50 to register the program which you don't have to if you buy from them, although the shareware version is supposed to be fine. I managed to find a guide and it was a case of removing a bt of trim to get to the brake light switch then putting it all back together, its supposed to take about

10 mins if you know what your doing aparantly, but it took me about 45 mins as I took my time no wanting to stuff it up. Still it probly will take me 10 mins should the fault occur again. But it definitely time I got VAG-COM which really is a maintenance tool and pays for itself to be honest.
Reply to
Matt

my friend bought an elm 327usb cable, vag com will NOT work with it, vagcom asks for a ross tech lead, For vw audi only I bought a 'c-reader' from tyre bay direct, it seems to work just fine on the polo I needed it for.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Yep, saves hours if you've got abs, central locking or airbag faults.

Reply to
Duncan Wood