Mk4 Golf - Broken lock

I was locking my Golf the other day and held the key to let the windows close and held it in till the sunroof had slid closed (10+ seconds in all) and then the lock immediately broke.

I can turn the key in the lock with the mechanism moving loosely but achieving nothing. The passenger side still works (but does not lock the passenger side), and the lock button inside works all locks if I am sat inside the car with the door closed.

I didn't hear anything break, but obviously something has gone.

Has anyone got any ideas of what/where I can check before I take out a second mortgage and take the Golf to the local VW garage?

Thanks,

John

Reply to
John Seed