Rover 25 cam position sensor?

Since he had the hydraulic tappets were replaced earlier in the week, it has had a worsening problem with a misfire between 1 and 2k revs. As there was some mention by the mechanic who replaced the tappets that the belt timing had been out [1], I suggested that it might be a good idea to double check this himself and I would give him a hand.

It was correct, so I started thinking of possible reasons for the misfire and decided that it must be one of the coil packs. Once a replacement had been fitted the misfire cleared up completely.

[1] As the mechanic had to strip the tappets, he asked him to fit a new replacement cam belt, as the cars history was unknown. I was rather surprised to learn that the mechanic had tried to charge him an extra £47 for installing the new timing belt and had indicated that he had to charge even more than usual for having to correct the timing.

Am I missing something here? I thought that part of the process of stripping the head down to fit new hydraulic tappets/valve lifters would involve removal of the cams along with the timing belt. Surely there should be no extra charge for simply fitting a new belt, if the belt is provided by the customer? The belt being one tooth out takes a matter of seconds to resolve if the engine is already partially stripped down.

As said, am I missing something here?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

To add a new belt to the rebuild means extra dismantling of the engine (bottom pulley and covers, hence more money.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Yes. Changing the belt normally involves removing the crank pulley plus a lot of other gubbins like engine mounts, covers etc. If you're just taking the belt off the camshaft pulley/s it's a lot easier plus you can mark the belt and pulley/s and just put them back how you found them.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Thanks to both John and Mr Cheerful...

To me it looked as if the belt would just slip straight off then on, once the other two belts had been slipped off.

I omitted to mention (apart from in the subject) one of my reasons for the posting.

On top of the cam case cover, there is a sensor on the front of the engine, which I assume is a Cam Position Sensor. I tried disconnecting it with the engine running and their was no noticeable difference to the running of the engine. What should happen?

I'm not familiar with CPS's or their purpose.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

they are a double check and a back up AFAIK, it is quite normal for it to run ok with it disconnected

Reply to
MrCheerful

Thanks..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Apart from it wont run sequential injection, only batch fire, and in some cases, (depending on management setup) the engine wont start with no signal from the CPS, although once running it will continue to run if then disconnected.

Belt driven Vx's for instance can tell if the timing belt is slack or has jumped by comparing the signals from the CAS and CPS.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..