Escort - And All its problems - Now Compressin

Hey Group,

Just want to say many thanks to everyone that has helped, i have now, changed:

The Fan Switch Sensor, The Gauge Temp Sensor, and The Engine Heat Sensor (Located on the Inlet Manifold). I checked my TPS and it seemed ok on the Meter, pulled the throttle assembly of and cleaned it all, now when i rev it it jumps down to 2000rpm for about 1 or 2 senconds then drops back to about

900 - 1000rpms. Is this OK? i carn`t say I ever remember it sticking at 2000rpm before, it just seems to drop rigfht down to 1100rpm. Tick over is running at about 900rpm.

I`ve also serviced my Car fully, and now it seems to be running like a dream, i`ve just filled my fuel Tank to Top, so i`ll let you all know if my MPG is any better.

One thing I would like to ask tho is, what should my Clylinder Compression be? I`ve just checked and Cylinder 1 is at 115psi, Cylinder 2 is at 112psi, Cylinder 3 is at 116psi and cylinder 4 is at 140psi. This was checked with the engine running on 3 plugs1 i.e whilst I was checking Cylinder 1 - the engine was running on plugs 2, 3, and 4. Whilst checking Cylinder 2 - the engine was running on plugs 1, 3, and 4. and so on ..... Do these compressions sound OK?

Also what Plug gap should I have? At the moment there set to 1.0mm again is this ok?

Many Thanks Again MCN

Reply to
MadCrazyNewbie

Well 1,2 and 3 sound low, but you didnt do the compression test correctly. You do it with ignition disabled- throttle fully open, plugs out and on the starter motor. Let us know what you get with that method.

0.9- 1mm sounds good to me. Depends if this is a coil / dizzy engine or the slightly later DIS engine?

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

More uneven than I would like. 112-140 is quite a big variation. Might be worth checking them again, to get an idea of the cause. With a warm engine, disconnect the ignition coil/s, and remove all the plugs. Put about a teaspoonful of oil down a plug hole, fit the pressure guage, and with the starter, crank the engine for 2-3 seconds. Repeat for the other 3 cyls. Any variation beween your first test, and the ones from this test will indicate whether the difference is caused by pistons/rings, or valves.

Dunno. I'm not that familiar with Escorts. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Forgot to say. Crank it with the throttle wide open.

Reply to
Mike G

This isn't the way to check compressions as all sorts of things might influence the readings with the engine running.

Remove all the plugs, jam the throttle wide open, and crank the engine. It only needs to turn a couple of revolutions to give the reading.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Reply to
Ian Santry