Escort clunking noise from front wheel

Hi

My old 1996 Ford Escort has a problem.

Went to drive it this morning and when I pull away I got a clunking noise from the front passenger side wheel. The car shudders a little as well. The steering then felt a little strange after that. The clunking seems to be worse when pulling away and turning left.

Any ideas what it might be? Up until the steering felt strange I though it might be the wheel bearing, now I not so sure.

I'm taking it to my garage this afternoon but I want to get an idea first of whats wrong.

Thanks Mark

Reply to
Markg

First check would be to make sure the wheel is still bolted up tightly, I would do that before even driving to the garage.

My guess would be a totally failed lower arm suspension bush. Usual cure is a new bottom arm, about 50 quid plus fitting.

There are several other possibilities though! Such as a failed CV joint, cost about the same as above.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Thanks for the answer. I checked the bolts as soon as it happened for the first time but it was fine

Took it to a garage, they reckon its the gearbox. When you spin the front passenger wheel (off the ground) it moves ok and then suddenly will lock.

I guess that makes sense - sounds expensive now

Reply to
Markg

Although it is possible, I do not expect the fault is in the gearbox, almost certainly it is one (probably the outer) CV joint, if these break up they give all the symptoms you describe. (vibration, noise when pulling away and turning, etc.)

They do usually give you plenty of warning first though, by clicking when you pull away turning to the side that is worn out. So if you have had that for a while, then almost certainly the outer CV joint is the fault.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Thanks again

Nope, no warning at all, haven't heard/felt a thing until this morning. I admit I'm not 100% convinced its the gearbox

When the wheels locked up whilst off the floor, there was some noise when the wheel locked up and it did seem to come from the gearbox. .

I'm going to a nearby gearbox place in the morning, they give free diagnosis so hopefully they can say for sure

Reply to
Markg

yes done one a few weeks ago,(escort too) sounds like its the planet gears inside the diff . can be overhauled but quicker to put a box in, cheap now in scrapyards cv joints knock but they dont lock up

Reply to
ford_technical_

would that affect just one wheel though?

Reply to
Markg

its the planetary gears - well diagnosed

thanks all for your help

Reply to
Markg

Sounds like the track control arms

Reply to
a.n.other

That sounds like a cv joint. Don't recall this problem with the gearbox. Worked on hundreds of these while in the motor trade. BTW I got out of the business 5 years ago.

Reply to
a.n.other