Rover 416 - Transmission Oil.

Should I expect symptoms if *all* transmission oil has leaked out of a manual gearbox?

I've never checked mine and I don't plan to but it would be reasuring to know my car will make some kind of noise if it ever runs terminally low.

Reply to
danny_deever2000

If it makes a noise it will probably be a 'death rattle'. If the general maintance of your car is along those lines you've expensive times ahead!

Reply to
DB.

reasuring

terminally

So in other words it has to be checked because the first noise will be fatal-ish rather than a harmless whiney noise. [1]

Ok. Might as well change it since checking seems to be almost more effort than changing. (There's *some* oil in there 'cos I loosened the drain plug just enough to see a trickle of oil. Clearly I dunno if that's 100ml or 2 litres.)

Expensive times? I've driven 3 bangers over 12 years and apart from a twice yearly oil and filter change they've all cost me bugger all beyond wear and tear of consumables.

Just out of interest from a purely preventative point of view is there much more you can do than check/change all the fluids regularly? [1] Which is all I wanted to know.

Reply to
danny_deever2000

I beleive that the 416 actually specifies a complete transmission oil change every 20 or 30k unlike most cars which seem to be fill and forget these days.

Reply to
Chris Street