Extract petrol

Partner has decided to scrap her 2002 Ford Ka as too much needs doing. She wants me to take out the 6 gallons of petrol, though. Is it as simple as siphoning it out into my emptyish tank?

Reply to
RJH

It's easier to disconnect the fuel line & point it at a container.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Probably not. ;-) Cars have been fitted with anti-syphon measures in the filler necks for many years (as I discovered when I tried to do the same as you from a Micra).

I ended up disconnecting a fuel line and let the electric pump do it's stuff. This can get complicated if the ECU detects that the line isn't pressurising in which case the pump will cut out after a period. As I wasn't trying to get that much, I just resorted to turning the ignition on and off. I believe that with the right knowledge (of fuses and relays) one can make up a "jumper lead" to keep the pump running but that's beyond my ken.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Or just not turn on in the first instance. As on my recently deceased '96 petrol Shogun. Gawd knows how you were meant to prime it if you'd run it dry.

Made no difference.

It also depends on the relay being accessible. On the Shogun, it was behind a goodly swathe of dashboard, and would have required a LOT of dismantling.

I ended up cutting the fuel line just before the filter, and diverting it into a jerrycan, then waiting for it to gently dribble through - and it really was a gentle dribble. After somewhere around four hours, there was about 15 litres, with enough left in the tank to register on the gauge, and nothing more coming out of the line - even with the ignition switched on and off repeatedly. I gave up.

Getting to the top of the tank and removing the pump/pickup assembly would have been an option, but the Shog seats wouldn't budge.

Reply to
Adrian

Where you have ground clearance, like a shogun, hammering a nail through the bottom of the tank might be easier! Not for the faint-hearted though.

Reply to
newshound

I'm not terribly fond of pouring the petrol I'm trying to catch all over myself instead.

Reply to
Adrian