Faulty Springs..?

Hello...

Has anyone ever experienced faulty springs?

I've dropped my Colt Cyborg by 40mm and had a

4-wheel alignment done aswell - which was spot on. The cornering has improved no end - but when driving in a straight line it drifts to the left.

Tried rotating the wheels - no joy. Alloys and tyres are in good nick - only 6 months old on Falkens.

Joints etc - are all OK - as is the power steering & steering system. Shocks aren't damaged or leaking. The springs appear to be seated OK - but I was just wondering if faulty springs - or the fitting process might have buggered something up. The place I got the springs from say that they've never come across dodgy springs and that this wouldn't cause the car to drift.

Any ideas anyone..?

Cheers.

Reply to
Fish Boy

You chop 40mm off the ride height and then wonder why the vehicle handles like a pile of pooh ! :~(

What else have you done to the suspension to compensate for a change in ride-high, if nothing I'm surprised it handles at all. When you say there wasn't anything wrong when you had a 4 wheel alignment done what exactly was checked, just tracking together with front - rear aliment or all the various steering angles such as Camber, Castor, KPI etc. ?

Reply to
Jerry.

In news:HqeUb.222$ snipped-for-privacy@stones.force.net, Jerry. decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Bloody hell! Someone that speaketh the word of sense in a newsgroup! Hail Jerry!

OOH! King Pin Inclination, not heard that mentioned (outside the motor club meetings in the pub) since the days of 2.8i Capri Bilsteins on Mk2 Escorts..

Bet you only discovered that lowered springs are s**te by themselves the same way as the rest of us though...

Reply to
Pete M

Camber, Castor. Do some reading.

Reply to
Conor

Isn't KPI the same thing as Castor?

-- James

Reply to
James

No. Both are measurements of inclination of the kingpin, but KPI is the angle as viewed from the front, Castor the angle as viewed from the side.

Reply to
Bob Davis

Too be honest the drop isn't even 40mm. I had the springs put on to compensate for the increase in wheel size to 16's. It was sitting quite high and looked a little odd. The drop is more like 25 - 30mm max, and it's brought the car back to stock height more or less. You wouldn't look at it and think "that's been lowered" (no neons or baseball caps in sight!).

As far as the 4-wheel alignment's concerned, I understand the toe, set back and camber were adjusted / corrected on the front, and the toe, camber and thrust angle on the back (judging by the sheet).

-- FB.

Reply to
Fish Boy

I used to get flamed for it.....

No, just understanding a bit about how 'steering and suspension' works helps !

Reply to
Jerry.

That is not the point, in lowering the ride height of the / suspension / (even though you have the same road to sill height) you will have upset other 'suspension' setting.

Reply to
Jerry.

Doesn't matter that it has brought it back to stock height. What matters is the length from the centre of the hub to the strut top, that has changed.

You cannot adjust camber on a normal production road car. It requires elongated holes on struts with unboltable hub carriers or adjustable Trac Control Arms.

Reply to
Conor

Depends on the car , it's easy on most older Audis

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Mine used to adjust itself. I was happy just to get it tight, never mind adjusted.

Reply to
Dan Buchan