Rover' K-Series' Hesitancy

Hi group.

I have a problem with my car (Rover 214si 16v, '99 model year). When I accelerate under load (IE 3rd gear less than 2000RPM), the car stutters.

It has new distributor cap, and rotor arm, and relatively new HT leads and plugs.

I personally think it is either fuel starvation, or lack or a decent spark. It this a common problem?

Cheers.

Reply to
Zoe

A weak spot on these engines is the inlet manifold gasket, which deteriorates over time and leaks - both air and coolant leaks are commonplace. An air leak would give uneven running at low revs, similar to your symptoms. The manifold can also work loose. An uprated gasket was introduced around 1999-2000, and revised fastenings with single use locknuts are now fitted, so your car may have these modifications - if not, you can check what gasket type is fitted by looking under each end of the manifold with a small mirror, the revised gasket is green in colour. Fuel starvation is another possibility, maybe a blocked fuel filter or a fault on the venting system, however these would tend to cause weak running at high revs rather than hesitancy.

Reply to
Bob Davis

Personnally I feel its a poor spark, a common fault with these is the rotor arm and there is a modded version- I would assume you have it- i.e. OEM parts are fitted?

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

Cheers guys. Oh, I forgot to mention the problem is also intermittent.

The fuel filter is genuine and was replaced about 4 months ago on the service.

The rotor arm and dizzy cap are non-genuine from Halfords, but have only been on the car for about 3 weeks.

Are coils prone to failing and only giving out a weak spark?

Reply to
Zoe