Fiesta 1998 brake squeak

Hi,

The brake mechanism on my Fiesta 1998 squeaks as I release the pedal. Braking is fine, new-ish pads, shoes and fluid etc and no squeak on applying a brakes but a big creaking sort of squeak as the pedal is released. I have lubricated everything I dare to but nothing changes! This has been going on a for about a year and is not really a big problem but I'd like to sort it out as it's a bit embarrassing in heavy traffic :-)

Thanks,

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

If it is from the rear brakes (get a friend to listen or apply the pedal) then it is probably just the shoes where they touch against the backplate, a tiny dab of copperslip grease at the rubbing points will cure it easily, having accessed the shoes just pry a shoe away from the backplate just enough to insert the tip of a small screwdriver with a tiny dab of grease on the end at the rubbing points (which have a dimpled surface to retain grease)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Ah - this sounds right. Further investigation shows that the squeak doesn't happen when the handbrake is on so it does indeed sound like it's the rear brakes. I'll try some copperslip.

Thanks,

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

It is a very common fault on Fords, I changed the clutch on a Focus the other day, when I test drove it afterwards the rear brake squeak so annoyed me that I fixed it when I got back as a freeby, I was a little surprised that the customer had not mentioned it since it was so intrusive, but they do have the radio on very loud !!

Reply to
Mrcheerful