Fiesta poor starting

My son has just bought a cheap 1.0 cc 1990 Fiesta. Problem is it takes an age to start even after a long run. When it does eventualy start it struggles to rev then suddenly bursts into life. It also lacks power on hills and under load and seems flattish. Its like as if its struggling for air or fuel for a few seconds when its started. I did changre the plugs and also the air filter but its still the same. Its got the usual tappet noise but i am now wondering if these are the cause. I would also try the timing but a friend said it could be difficult on these cars. Any ideas would be appreciated. On a final note when I bought the spark plugs the dealer said they wouldnt need gapping is this correct? Thanks in advance Dave

Reply to
Dave

Stick a meter on the battery & watch how low it drops whilst cranking, less than 10V & you need a new battery.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

No its not the battery as the starter cranks for an age before it starts. thanks anyway

Reply to
Dave

Probably a VV Carb on it...... Rubbish carb..... lacks fuel because of lack of pulse feed when required,,,, especially when starting !!!! Pour a small amount of fuel down the carb and see if it starts right away... If so than chuck away the carb and fit a weber.... The VV is identified by a flap at the top which reveals the venturi..... Of all the rubbish Ford makes this has to take the biscuit.

JK

Reply to
JK

[...]

The vv carb is ok, but they do have some faults which can be fixed, one of the design features is that the float chamber venting is internal, which means that the engine can be overrich after standing for a while. This is mentioned in the manual and is quite normal, just spin it over for a bit and it will go. To speed up the process you can start on a full throttle.

I repeat, this is not a fault but a design feature.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

The message from "JK" contains these words:

It certainly had an accelerator pump and I've a feeling some versions had a LOVE valve [1] as well.

[1] Very Barry White "Come on baby, make my LOVE valve pump".
Reply to
Guy King

What are you guys on? By the very nature of the VV is doesnt need (or have) an accelorator pump. Nor does it have a power valve. Infact all it has is a sliding piston with needle on't end which does the fuel metering. The choke unit is a mini version of the same, which just tips extra petrol down the venturi when in use.

Think of an Stromberg tipped on its side, and throroughly bastardised by Ford and you have a VV.

When it works well, it is a good carb. Just most never do.

The GM varajet is along the same theme which actually works pretty well. Problems are that the autochoke plays up now and then..

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

The message from " Tim \(Remove NOSPAM." contains these words:

Have it your own way, but the diagram I've got here has a picture of it!

Reply to
Guy King

The VV accel. pump is a vacuum operated one, so without any vacuum (non turning engine) you can kick the pedal all day long and no fuel will go down the hole

mrcheerful.

Reply to
MrCheerful

The message from "MrCheerful" contains these words:

Still got one though!

Reply to
Guy King

Absolutely, just not a conventional one.

mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful