Fiesta: spark & fuel does not equal fire.

Advise needed on non-starting 1992 1.1L HCS (pushrod) Ford Fiesta. This is the Cfi, distributor-less model.

Daughter's car of past 15 months during which time a reliable starter & runner. 10 days ago car stalled after running a short while and then refused to start. Renewed spark plugs, crank angle sensor; checked plug leads etc and verified spark (but possibly a bit weak & yellow) with plugs laid on cylinder head. Engine cranks-over fine but fails to fire (absolutely nothing) even with Easy Start straight into inlet manifold. Also checked cylinder compression and valve actuation and starting with fuel pump fuse removed in case of flooding.

Hypothesis: this is an ignition related problem; spark occurring at wrong time or breaking down with compression hence total lack of firing. Opinions please.

Reply to
Roger Pettitt

these do suffer from dodgy coil packs, but would not be my first thought.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

My polo did this about a month ago, it tured out to be a relay had died and hence killed ignition to all sparkies

Reply to
Scott

If you have spark and fuel, the only other thing you need is compression - might be worth checking (I know its unlikely to be a problem!).

My money's on the sparks/timing. Especially with the easystart - its never failed to start a car for me as long as the timings within about 10 degrees of being right.

Reply to
TTT

If it's got a spark, even what you think is a weak one, then it's much more likely to be fuel. Does the fuel pump make any sound when the ignition is first switched on? You certainly aren't going to get it going with the fuse out!!!

Reply to
Dave Baker

When you checked for spark- you did have each plugs opposite grounded to the cylinder head also didnt you? i.e. 1 & 4, 2 & 3 (it being a DIS system...) ?

My money's on a coil pack or EDIS problem, as you should have a BIG FAT spark on all plugs- this system generates upwards of 45,000volts!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Are you really sure it's got fuel? Have you put a pressure gauge in the fuel line?

It's possible to get a vapour lock that pushes the fuel out of the pump. Running low on fuel will also cause problems as it occasionally sucks air while the fuel sloshes around. Once there is a vapour lock in the pump you don't get any fuel and just putting a gallon in won't re-prime it. Take the fuel line off the throttle body or filter. If dry, apply vacuum to suck fuel up though pump and fuel line to prime it or put a lot more fuel in.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Possibility; that the cambelt has jumped 2 teeth.

Reply to
Arne

have you read the op post?

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

If it had a cam belt that would be a possibility!

Tim

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.