Flipping wonderful

The wife's Skoda was broken into a few weeks ago. The passenger side lock was knackered before the toerag found that it can't be got into that way. So the quarter light was punched in. This was all so the idiot could steal a stereo that had the front fascia removed so is effectively worthless.

Directline were a bit crap about chasing their nominated garage. The garage were worse than crap.

It took them over a week to collect the car. Then they couldn't find it for a while. It came back yesterday.

Bear in mind that I'd had to change the ignition barrel due to wear, so we were up to two keys anyway, the repairers bought a new lock for the passenger door. I can't sell a car that needs three different keys depending on which door you want to open or if you want to start the car. Not that I'm planning on selling it.

Plus the back still has lots of bits of glass cubes in plain sight where I can pick them up. The car has been 'valeted'. There's a shiny side and a side covered in hand prints and moved around dirt. There are extra scratches on the paintwork.

And then there's the minor question of how it came back.

It went away on a recovery truck. It was driven back. When it went away, it was fine. When it was delivered back on a reasonably cool Friday it was ticking hard cooling down. The front wheels were hot to the touch.

The clutch return spring is snapped now and it wasn't before. Its only a pedal thing, but they flogged the hell out of that car on the way home.

A complaint is being drafted.

Reply to
Warwick

Name and shame the repairer?

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

I get this on my boring and slow motorway commute...

I had something similar happen the first time my Mondeo was returned. It was a shambells. Next time it came back on a low loader looking absolutely pristine.

Thing is, I shouldn't have to complain about this.

Reply to
DervMan

In my experience all of the 'approved repairers' are worse than shit. They are shockingly bad.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Totally agree - this is the only way people will know not to use cowboys. I always make a point of well publicising exact problems, names and locations of people who have done poor work.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Well, the idiot company that decided to do half a job is RWM in=20 Leicester.

They will not be seeing the car again under any circumstances.

On the unshame bit. Direct Line have replied to the complaint. They've=20 asked me to take the car to a garage I trust rather than one of their=20 preferred repairers and get a quote on fixing it properly. They accepted=20 that 3 keys is unacceptable. They accepted that a snapped return spring=20 on the clutch pedal was likely caused by 'entusiastic driving'. They've=20 accepted that the paintwork needs fixing.=20

In addition, SWMBO didn't let me fit the replacement stereo in spite of=20 my insistance that it was a 5 minute job since the thing has ISO=20 connectors. Once the car was secure and returned, she rang the freephone=20 number and the supplier TOAD came around and fitted it in about 5=20 minutes. The installer then took time to tune it to her preferred=20 stations and showed her how to use the stuff she needs. He was also very=20 good with our 3 year old and used a children's song for his MP3 test.=20

An additional up is that the head unit supplied retails at about =A3100=20 more than the one stolen.=20

Warwick

Reply to
Warwick

Sounds like it all worked out nicely in the end - good to hear! Thumbs up to direct line for sorting it efficiently.

Coyoteboy