focus fuel filter

Has anyone had any hands on experience with changing the fuel filter on a 04 petrol focus. Any tips ?

Seems it has some tricky clips on both ends of it.

Reply to
Jeff

It's a bit fiddly, but do-able. I use a 1/4" drive socket set to remove the single bolt, and from memory use both the long and short extensions. There would be insufficient room for a 1/2" drive IMO.

The clips securing the pipes are OK if you study how they work first.

I'm sure you know, but in case not, do depressurise the fuel system before you start!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

It's a bit fiddly, but do-able. I use a 1/4" drive socket set to remove the single bolt, and from memory use both the long and short extensions. There would be insufficient room for a 1/2" drive IMO.

The clips securing the pipes are OK if you study how they work first.

I'm sure you know, but in case not, do depressurise the fuel system before you start!

Chris

Thanks Chris will use the 1/4" drive socket. Its the clips that look a bit confusing on how the come off. Space is very limited under there couldnt have made it more awkward for a simple thing.

Yeah I always remove the relay/fuse and start it and let it die.

Reply to
Jeff

Youtube - USA Focus 04 but instructions are the same/similar for UK model. Includes useful safety info and a few gotchas

alan
[...]

The only thing I do differently to the video is to remove the bolt first so I can wiggle the filter around a bit in order to more easily disconnect the pipes.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Youtube - USA Focus 04 but instructions are the same/similar for UK model. Includes useful safety info and a few gotchas

Cheers alan I often forget to check youtube. Great guide. I know what Im doing now will get some new clips just in case :)

Reply to
Jeff
[...]

The only thing I do differently to the video is to remove the bolt first so I can wiggle the filter around a bit in order to more easily disconnect the pipes.

Im going to be a copy cat and do that sounds like I will get a bit more play. Looks fiddly but doable.

Reply to
Jeff

Although having heard (and repeated) this advice, from experience fuel systems de-pressurise almost immediately. On my Diesel I can see the fuel supply pressure (3bar when running) via the makers' diagnostic software and it drops to near as dammit nothing before the engine has stopped spinning.

Reply to
Scott M

not on a petrol vehicle, they will spray violently 20 minutes after switch off, the difference being that diesel fuel supply pressure is the feed to a (vastly) higher pressure pump, while on petrol vehicles the fuel pressure is what actually does the squirting and must be far more accurately controlled.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Of petrols, I've played with a Hyundai Amica and a BMW 530i. The former certainly within a few mins of switch off, can't swear how long the BM had been off. Different systems, different quirks.

(And I'd always advise playing it safe; I've always approached them as being pressurised, just yet to find a gusher ;-) )

Reply to
Scott M

In which case a lot of cars have faulty fuel pressure regulators that let by or leaky injectors or the non return valve / pump is leaking in reverse.

I've got 2 20 year old Datsun and they both hold pressure in the injector rail overnight. As did the 20 year old one I scrapped in 2000.

Also gushes fuel from the fuel filter feed hose even after running engine out of fuel with fuel pump fuse removed and opening the tank filler cap to vent it.

Reply to
Peter Hill

This is why I've always been surprised not to find a gusher; I've heard this (probably from here) many times but never get more than a general, gentle emptying of fuel rail or pipework.

Reply to
Scott M