106d gearbox oil

I've had a very small oil drip for a while now, cannot say exactly where from...engine or gear box side. Just recently I've noticed a constant whine, seems transmission as it continues when I coast out of gear. Thought I'd check the gear box oil level but for the life of me I cannot find the filler/check plug! Can anyone tell me where it is located? (I've also jacked and checked each wheel bearing, they seem good....so what's the most likely problem....are any drive bearings likely to fail on an R reg 105D?)

Would appreciate any help or advice.

Reply to
Paul Cairns

The filler/level plug is on the end cover of the box. You will have to remove the N/S wheel, and possibly the plastic liner. Then, looking at the end cover, you will see the larger (19mm) bolt at about 4 O'clock. With the car on a level surface, (you might need to kift the O/S front up a bit to acheive this) add some oil until it starts dribbling out. I normally use EP

80.
Reply to
Brian

Forgot to say, but most likely place for a leak would be one of the drive shaft seals. The only other place would be the input shaft seal and replacing that would require removal of the gearbox. Check oil level and refill. Likelyhood is that the noise will reduce once the correct amount of oil is present.

Reply to
Brian

thanks for this help Brian, I thought I was going daft not being able to

Update

ovies on, spanners out, wheel off and.....it must be me.....but at end of housing is a metal case (forged plate) secured by 4 small bolts to housing......no 19mm bolt head on that....there is a plug with a square head allen key hole just one inch up from the bottom of the housing on that end of the casting....but would think that is too low to set any level (just

1")....... thanks anyway for the advice....shall just have to wait till usual service mechanic returns from hols and then be at his mercy!

Thanks anyway

Reply to
Paul Cairns

Actually that could be it. On the Xantia I've got shot of, the filler plug was remarkably low down. Unfortunately the Haynes BoL is in the wife's car and she's at work until 1:30 am.

Reply to
Malc

I'd be facinated to know if it was Malc....if so, how little oil does it hold???

Cheeers

Paul

Reply to
Paul Cairns

I'll try and remember to dig out the BoL tomorrow. The Xant held 1.9L from new or 1.8 if refilled. The Xant box filler can be seen here

so you can see how low it is.

Reply to
Malc

thanks for the pic.....it could well be the allen plug that I suspected!

will check it out tomorrow

Reply to
Paul Cairns

The 106 filler/level plug is actually on the casing below the end cap, about

8O'clock as you look at the end of the box. It requires a square section key to undo it.
Reply to
Brian

Aha! Just as Pual said.

Reply to
Malc

Got it.....thanks very much for this info............. looks very low on the sump but have found it....cheers

Reply to
Paul Cairns

Don't get confused between the filler and the drain. They are the same sort of plug but the drain, obviously, is low down at the bottom of the box, yet facing out toward the wheel. The filler is next to the metal end cover. It takes around 2 litres.

Reply to
nigel