Ford Cambelt Intervals

According to my Ford Warranty and Service Guide, the cambelt interval for Zetec-E, Zetec-SE and Endura-DI engines is 10 years or 100k. From what I've herad quite a few Ford dealers stand by this recommendation, though some people recommend 40k or 60k. What I'm wondering, though, is why such a high recommendation, and why are they deemed to be less susceptible to failure than on other engines, like the Endura-DE (which I thought was a very similar design to the Endura-DI, hence the similar name).

Is it:

(a) the fact that on the Endura-DE there's another belt that drives the injection pump that needs changing as well,

or

(b) the fact that on the Endura-DI the water pump isn't driven by the cambelt (hence one big reason why it wouldn't fail, say, if the water pump seized) - are the Zetec-E and Zetec-SE engines similar in this respect (i.e. water pump driven by aux drive belt and not cambelt).

Just curious as the Zetec-E, Zetec-SE and Endura-DI must have one design feature or another in common, or they wouldn't be all grouped together as far as cambelt change intervals go.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan