Ford Escort

I hava an Escort 1.8i zetec. Internittently it misses quite badly, seemingly cutting out for a split second as accelerating. It has now started jumping, again intermittently. The problem seems to reduce when I replace the spark plugs. However, I've noew replaced the spark plugs and HT leads with Ford genuine parts about 1000 miles ago and the p[roblem has now returned. I've changed the fuel filter, just in case, but the problem still exists. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing the problem? - Thanks in advance

Reply to
PaulH

Valves sticking..... use flush directly into the induction manifold via one of the vacuum hoses...... drive it with a good rev on for a couple of minutes...it will smoke like mad .... this will remove the carbon build up on the valves ... add a tin of injector cleaner to the tank then..... but do step one first. The 1600's were known for this.... the 1800's to a lesser degree.

Reply to
JK

What's your plug gap?

The 2.0 Zetec has/had a problem like this where the recommended plug gap is

1.3, but it's been taken down to 1.0

What was happening was that plug 1 (gearbox end) has such a high voltage, it's easier to arc through the lead than spark the plug.

Re-gap your plugs & try again.

HTH

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

as per the other replies sticky valves have been known to cause this, but some 10k boost should sort that out and as you have already changed the leads (very common failures on mondeo's) re gapping the plugs should deal with that problem

Reply to
dojj