Testing Things - Escort

Hey Group,

How would i be able to Test the following:-

Coolant Temp Sensor, Map Sensor, Lambda Sensor and Throttle Pot?

All the above are on a 94 Escort, 1.4Cvh (Single Point Injection)

Im ok metering if thats whats needed - I just need to know where to find, what the values should be.

Many Thanks MCN

Reply to
MadCrazyNewbie

What is the fault you are experiencing?

Reply to
sPoNiX

sPoNix,

I`ve been having problems with my car guzzeling juice.

Its only doing 15 - 20mpg now, disconnected my TPS and it seems better, now its back to 15-20mpg after about 100 miles, seemed like it was getting starved of fuel earlier but it seems ok now. Ford wanna charge me £85+ Vat and they suggest it was one of the below sensors, don`t really wanna spend £85+Vat just to find out its something simple.

Many Thanks MCN

Reply to
MadCrazyNewbie

CTS & ATS: 10degrees c ~3.51v. 50deg c 1.70v 90deg c 0.6v.

TPS : Closed- Min 0.4v, WOT Max 4.8v.

O2 sensor- 0.2v to 0.8v at 1hz or better- only in closed loop running- i doubt your engine is entering closed loop.

You can simulate rich and lean conditions by using an unlit propane torch in the inlet to make it go rich, and introduce a vacuum leak below the throttle plate to make it go lean- look for a change in voltage.

O2 sensor heater - 5-6 ohms at 15deg c. (this is a PTC heater so its resistance goes up as it gets hot)

MAP: You will have to tell us if its an analogue or digital one. Analogue: 0.5v to 4.5v lots of vacuum to atmospheric. pin1 +12v pin 2 signal pin 3 earth. Digital: 5v constant but at varying frequency depening on vacuum. Pins as above.

Fuel pressure: 1.0bar.

Hope this helps.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Quite common on Escorts is water contamination in the sensor connectors and the Electronic control unit connector. There is also a loom connector up near the battery which suffers from water ingress.

Disconnect all the connectors in turn and clean them with some "Contact cleaner" (Available from Maplin).

Most connectors on the Escort have little rubber seals to protect against moisture..these rot after a few years and let water in which causes the connectors to corrode.

If cleaning the connectors cures the problem tape up all suspect joints to stop water getting in in the future.

If that fails I have found

to be useful.

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

Sounds ok according to the gauge, but Ford gauges are sometimes not the most accurate. As another rough guide, after a 5 mile drive out of town, stop and feel the top radiator hose- should be hot that you can just about keep your hand on it constantly without pain.

Sounds to me like the motor isnt warming up properly.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Sponix/Tim,

Thanks for the Help so Far, If the Motor isn`t warming up properly could this be causing the bad MPG? what else could stop it warming up?

I`ve just got a new temp sensor and Thermostat for a 10ner, and a set of NGK plugs aswell with some new HT Lead. Its about time they were swapped anyways.

Might do the Oil and fiter aswell. Any thing else I should be checking?

Also Does anybody know what Compression should be on the cylinders? its done about 111,500 now.

Any more help appriciated

Ta MCN

Reply to
MadCrazyNewbie

Also the other one, how would one check the fuel pressure?

Ta MCN

Reply to
MadCrazyNewbie

Like you wouldnt bellieve!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Err FP gauge on the line. If its running well otherwise and especially if it passed the emissions check then i'd rule out problems with the fuel pressure.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.