Ford Escort losing power on higher revs

My sisters Escort (one that had the foglight stolen) has a problem with the engine where it doesnt go past 4000 revs.

You can put the foot down in first, get to 4000, change to 2nd, get to roughly 4000 again, then in 3rd it doesn't go any higher than 3500. Take off in first is still very nippy but it's just up to those high revs it seems to fall through. Put the car in neutral and rev the engine and I can hit the limiter quite easily, it just seems to be where its required to actually move :-( I can hardly get it to go above 60mph!

Spec as follows:

R Reg (1998)

63000 miles 1.6 16v multi-point injection Zetect (E?) engine 5 speed gear box.

Anyone every heard of similar problems? At first I thought it was a compression problem but it's still very nippy at take off and it's only just when you get up to the higher revs it won't budge. Are we talking fuel delivery problems? ECU (EMS) problems?

Would be good to have an idea before it's taken to a garage.

Thanks,

Graham

Reply to
Graham

sticky valves? change the oil and stiff to see if it cures the problem

Reply to
dojj

I had that on a 17 year old bmw. Simple cure .... i changed the dirty air filter!!!

Instantly cured ... and tested to 128mph that same day.

Reply to
SDD

Catalyst has broken up and is blocking exhaust, or wadding in middle silencer has done same and is causing blockage in rear box.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

In news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, SDD slebbered:

I tried ripping a few fins off the old filter to allow more air, but it made no difference at all :-(

The engine runs quite warm in a short space of time (i.e between 2 & 3 mins) and the radiator fan cuts in a lot. When you lift the bonnet the heat just hits you, but it doesn't appear to be running *too* warm.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Graham

Reply to
Graham

In news:c7q3m9$r70$ snipped-for-privacy@hercules.btinternet.com, Tim (Remove NOSPAM. slebbered:

So how would it allow it to hit the rev limiter in neutral? Surely the exhaust emissions while revving in neutral are the same as that when moving?

Graham

Reply to
Graham

no, you can get the engine to rev very high without load on only a whiff of throttle, quite clearly the volume of air going in is directly related to the volume out the back, big throttle opening gives more volume of gases out the back, hence any blockage is more evident under load (big throttle, lots of air in). FWIW my nephew had one doing the same thing, I never got to the definite cause, I would have liked to try a spare exhaust system, but never had one handy.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Bloody hell!!! Organise a collection. You don't live 200 miles away from a supplier of new air filters do you??? Get a fuel filter/leads/spark plugs/rotor/cap as well. After fitting all of these basic maintenance items we will be ready to provide diagnosis!!!

Don't wash out the fuel filter in parafin. Don't put the spark plugs/leads/rotor/cap in the dishwasher. Just invest a few pounds!

Reply to
SDD

Typical symptoms of a blocked fuel filter.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

In news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, SDD slebbered:

Nah, it was just handy to do this on the spot to check to see if that was the problem.

LOL! Will do, I just wanted to try a few quick-fix's on the spot to see if they worked.

I had a mate up looking at it and he reckoned it could be the fuel pump (but he said he could hear it moving) or the filter, so I'll wham a new one in and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for all your help ! :)

Graham

Reply to
Graham

I'd say no- as the OP doesnt mention any spluttering, lean running symptoms or the ability to apply full throttle for an instant (and get full power) before it begins to die out, which would be indicative of fuel starvation.

The high amount of heat from the exhaust system when he lifts the bonnet is another pointer to a restriction in it.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

In news:c7sicv$1p8$ snipped-for-privacy@titan.btinternet.com, Tim (Remove NOSPAM. slebbered:

Tim,

There is some spluttering when you put the foot down in first, get to 3500 revs, and change to second. Second gear splutters at the start then goes. When you put the foot down you do get full power until it hits 3500 revs.

If there was a blockage in the fuel intake or the exhaust, wouldn't an engine management light come on?

Also...just before I change gear if I let it rev as far as it can, you can hear an almost rattling noise.

This shed any more light?

Thanks,

Graham

Reply to
Graham

I had one in where someone had removed the lambda sensor to make it run. The cat had colapsed and whats left had turned sideways letting hardly any gas through

-- Jon

Reply to
Jon

In news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, Jon slebbered:

Yeah I think someone has removed the EMS light :-|

Graham

Reply to
Graham

No.

Could be pinking- again caused by excessive residual exhaust gasses remaining in the cylinders cos it cant get out and poor combustion on the next firing stroke. You get the same thing on a car with EGR where the EGR is stuck fully open at light throttle openings.

I'd put 50quid on that you still have a blocked exhaust.

If your at all DIY, remove the o2 sensor, or disconnect the downpipe ahead of the cat and go for a short (noisy) drive. If you now have full power through the gears you've confirmed the problem.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

On the pre late 98 mk7 Escorts- those with the oval dash gauges and non digital odometer there isnt a MIL lamp anyhow! The orange one is for the ABS.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

So thats why boy racers have noisy exhausts ... because they get full power through the gears!!!

Reply to
SDD

how's the air filter?

Reply to
jeremy

how's the timing?

Reply to
jeremy

In news:6dTnc.8009$ snipped-for-privacy@news-text.cableinet.net, Graham slebbered:

Well, I replaced the fuel filter and there was a slight difference. Car is seems more nippy in all gears.

I drained all the petrol out the old filter into a glass to have a look at it, and was a lot of debris (this was from the end that the fuel was meant to be clean!).

Is it possible the old filter has been allowing crap thru the fuel lines and clogged the injectors? Is it possible to take the injectors out and give them a clean?

I'm going to have the cat looked at tomorrow.

Thanks,

Graham

Reply to
Graham