Ford Focus 1.8 lx y reg

Hi everyone got a problem with my car and hoped ya could help. On the motorway it loses power the radio goes dull and the speedo goes to zero and the milage does not increase and sometimes goes blank. any help would be great. Many thanks in advance Sando.

Reply to
sando

there are problems with speedo units, I understand ford are selling whole clusters at 50 quid a time to avoid customer annoyance. whether that is your problem I do not know.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

This is a common problem - it's nothing to do with the instrument cluster.

It's the dreaded Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) on the gearbox - it's a common fault on all iB5-boxed Focii. The part is about =A320-30 from a Ford dealer.

Having changed one myself though, I'd hand some money to a garage to do it. It's quite awkward to reach unless the vehicle is on a ramp / 4- post lift. You shouldn't have to pay more than an hour's labour.

Andy

Reply to
andytucker

Very common problem with the VSS (vehicle speed sensor.)

If you search Google Groups for this, you will find I have posted several times in alt.autos.ford.focus on what is involved in changing it.

Bottom line - 25UKP and 40 minutes work, or 100UKP to a dealer.

No big deal either way.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan