Ford Ka Brake Fluid Renewal Interval

Hi,

SWMBO1 (I also have a daughter, SWMBO2!) has just booked her '03 Ka into the local Fraud main dealer (she bought it from them, so you have to go back to them for servicing in order not to void the precious warranty) for its 2 year service.

They reckon that it should also have the brake fluid renewed.

Now, whilst I would never compromise on safety-related items, such as brakes, steering and tyres, I cannot help but note that the service schedule for my '97/P Mondeo only specifies changing the brake fluid every 3 years.

I cannot check the handbook at this time, as she's got the car at work.

Are they pulling a fast one here?

Steve.

Reply to
steve_leak

No you don't. Unless you are outside of the EU.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

First change at two years is correct for the KA, then every 4 years. (presumably because the new KA may have stood around a bit ?) Two yearly is the timing for Mondeo as well ( maybe they used to say three yearly ?) Ford dealers only charge thirty pounds for a brake fluid change, which I reckon is a bargain anyway. The cause of every master cylinder failure that I have seen has been moisture in the brake fluid causing rust pits that rip the seals to bits, so preventative maintenance by fluid changing on a regular basis can save the master cylinder (very expensive bit) almost indefinitely.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

its amazing how many people think they still have to take their cars to the main dealers to keep up the warranty, also the same with insurance work ( bodywork) you don't have to take it to the body shop your insurance company says, they only want it to go to their approved bodyshops as they have struck a deal with them.

Reply to
reg

Two year?

You don't have to take it anywhere, just ensure it's serviced according to Ford specifications. You can use another Ford dealership, somebody else with Ford parts, or yourself with Ford parts. It's easier if you do use a Ford dealership if you have to make a claim but that also depends on the dealership: some are much better than others.

Every two years, yes, that's what the book says.

It's a different vehicles...

No, but check the price.

Reply to
DervMan

It's not amazing, it's what the dealerships will have you believe.

In both cases, using the "approved" or "own brand" places makes it _much_ easier if you have a subsequent warranty claim.

Reply to
DervMan

Hmm. BMW (and others) give a 10 year anti-perforation warranty on their bodywork. Which means internal protection (wax etc) must be re-applied after accident repair.

Can you guarantee every body shop will do this?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

To be more helpful. Try asking the local Mr Clutch or AA garage (usually part of Halfords, may be called Nationwide). Both do dealer standard/manufacturer approved services, and will stamp the service book. Both can be cheaper.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Indeed they do. Who is to say that the insurance recommended body shop is a BMW approved one?

Can you be certain that the insurance specced bodyshop will do this to BMW standards?

Girl at work had trouble with Direct line with her Clio. It needed a new plastic wing. Direct line wanted her to use their recomended body shop. They said it wasn't Renault approved when she asked. She insisted that it needed to be, for the cars bodywork warrenty. They swore it didn't. So started a 6 month battle over which garage would do the work, as DL were unwilling to pay the cost of a Renault approved body shop for a new plastic wing on a brand new car, to replace the holed one (jagged edged hole punched by tow ball of reversing car). Tbey approved repair, not replacement of the wing.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar