Ford Ka Engine Over revving

Do I need to?

Kermy had covered 82K. We had a rattling front seat and the parcel shelf where I broke it. The Accord has covered 72K. We have a rattling from the dashboard, from the sunroof and from one of the rear seat headrests.

Stuff fallen off: nothing on either.

Your point being what exactly? Oh, that Golf engines don't rattle. Right. Uh-huh.

As for Kas, killing brakes in 6K miles FFS and ignoring advice to replace with vented discs. Then you stuffed it. I think we can safely ignore anything you say on the subject.

Ahhha, I see - so nothing in particular, you're just wearing the Ka Expert hat today, then?

Reply to
DervMan

There's just the minor point that something the age of a Ka shouldn't be rusting not matter how badly you treat it.

My 75 has hardly had an easy life, the first time it saw any welding action was when it hit 15 years old. Bear in mind, this is a car essentially designed in the 60s, but was the result of early experiments with galvanising by Alfa.

Reply to
SteveH

Oh, f*ck it. I'm going to have to post a 2nd follow-up at this point.

My Cinq was abused from new - 13k miles in 9 months by a fleet / rental user, then taken up to 45k miles in it's 2nd year. I crashed it, thrashed it to within an inch of it's life, only relying on cheap National Tyres oil changes every 10k miles to keep it going.

Did it fall apart? No. Did it rust? No. Did it sound like a rattly bag of spanners? No. Did it still look good and go (relatively) like f*ck when I sold it? Yes.

It was cheap - cheaper than a base model Ka, was better equipped, marginally quicker, much more refined and a hell of a lot more fun and practical to own.

You'll note that Ford have finally given up on designing their own engines, handing that over to Yamaha and PSA.... they've even thrown in the towel on small car design, by throwing lots of money at Fiat to do the job properly for them.

Besides that, as I keep pointing out, the Ka somehow managed to be bigger than a MkII Fester, whilst being more cramped with a smaller boot. How the f*ck Ford managed that I'll never know.

Reply to
SteveH

To be fair that isn't unique to frod - see new mini for example.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

I agree with this, the Ka really shouldn't rust like it does.

Heh, my Capri is 19 years old in a couple of months and is still pretty much rust free! Not bad for something that thinks galvanising is having a couple of pints before asking a bird out!

Reply to
Pete M

In news:im9Cf.129$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe7-win.ntli.net, Doki wrote something quite bizarre, possibly in an effort to confuddle the world. It went like so;

Um, they don't. Late Ka's have something else in. Works well.

ICBW, but the last 5-10 Ka's I've driven have had something that appears to be OHC and is pretty quiet in.

Reply to
Pete M

My money's on modern safety features.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

So, how did Fiat manage with the Cinq / Sei, then?

Reply to
SteveH

Dunno - they didn't bother? :-)

Reply to
AstraVanMan

ROFL. The Cinquecento Sporting and the 1.3 Ka are very evenly matched on a quiet little back road.

Except the Ka makes do with power-sapping PAS and no pretenious red seat belts and badge of course.

Swings and roundabouts.

Now that is utter, utter drivel and you are wearing rose coloured spectacles.

Refinement? Okay, here we go.

The Cinquecento suffers from a poor heating and ventilation system. You can have warm air to the windscreen, to the feet or to the side windows. But not to any two of the three. And not to all three. Ford got their ventilation system sorted years ago. You can punt the heat to wherever you want and it works.

There's a *huge* amount of wind noise at any speed over 50 mph. The sunroof makes things worse. The Ka has materially less wind noise.

The Cinquecento is hairy with a crosswind, opening the rear quarter lights helps matters quite a bit. The Ka has better resistance to cross winds.

Lets talk about gearing. The lowest set of ratios in the Ka sees 20 mph /

1,000 rpm or so in top. What's the Cinq Sporting, around 17 mph? It's noisy on the motorway.

In the rain it sounds like you've a basket of snakes from the back, such is the hissing of water spray being chucked up. There is no massive hissy fit from the back of the Ka.

The Cinq's ride is firmer than the Ka, even on the softly sprung 900 models.

WTF do you put drinks? And the Cinquecento's boot is tiny.

Earlier models didn't even have "minor switchgear" illumination so you're supposed to guess how to put the lights, rear wiper, heater and demister on in the dark FFS.

Air conditioning? ABS?

Seat comfort? The Cinquecento isn't bad, but the Ka's seats just *work*. I've driven for bloody hours in the Ka and emerged without problem.

More fun? No. But you and I will and have argued the toss about this.

How do the sales figures compare, just out of interest? Twelve Siecentos sold in 2003? Nice. Oh, Fiat needed Ford's input to make the new 500, eh? Hmm.

Practical? If you want it laden to the roof, it sure is. If you want to carry five, it is since the Ka only has four seats.

If you travel one or two up there's no advantage, probably a disadvantage since the Ka has cup holders and far more places to put things compared to the Cinquecento.

Three up, the Ka has the advantage because of a split fold rear seat. Four up, the Ka still has a bigger boot.

*Bwahaha* nooooo. You have this all wrong. You also forgot Mazda.

There's more effective room for two people in the back of a Ka.

How the heck you still reckon the Cinquecento is a vastly superior car to the Ka is beyond me. I like the Cinquecento but it's a league or two less mature, just as much fun as, and didn't sell well compared to the Ka.

Reply to
DervMan

They didn't. The boot is smaller than a mark two Fiesta and crash protection ends with the sills.

Reply to
DervMan

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

?id1=1&id2=77

Reply to
Adrian

If I was the person whose luggage wouldn't fit in the car, I'd consider it a problem! :-D

Reply to
AstraVanMan

snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) wrote in news:1h9sjub.18fzuat18pjnzrN% snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk:

I would agree that PAS is unnecessary on such a small, lightweight car. The Seicento we had had one of those electric PAS systems and it was horrible - took all the feel out of the steering.

Reply to
Stu

[...]

Rattly....so what? The 1.1 FIRE is a super little engine, but it doesn't exactly have the smoothest tickover in the world, does it?

Reply to
Stu

snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) wrote in news:1h9sjub.18fzuat18pjnzrN% snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk:

I would agree that PAS is unnecessary on such a small, lightweight car. The Seicento we had had one of those electric PAS systems and it was horrible - took all the feel out of the steering.

Reply to
Stu

snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) wrote in news:1h9sjub.18fzuat18pjnzrN% snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk:

I would agree that PAS is unnecessary on such a small, lightweight car. The Seicento we had had one of those electric PAS systems and it was horrible - took all the feel out of the steering.

Reply to
Stu

Apologies for the multiple posting. News server problems again.

Reply to
Stu