Ford Ka revving high

is there any way i can check it is the TPS at fault. if it is, how much do you think i can get one for to fit myself, or perhaps one from a breaker's yard?

Reply to
june

It's a black potentiometer on the side of the throttle body - opposite side to the throttle cable. It'll have a 3 pin plug on it.

Just unplug it and see what happens.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Have a look on my website for the ICV, follow either the link up there (waves at top of screen) or down here (waves at the signature). You remove the wiring clip, unbolt the bolts and carefully pull it off. Be extra careful of the 8-shaped "O" seal, if that is ruined you'll need a new ICV from either Ford or a new seal / ICV from a scrappy.

There's not an easy way to test the TPS.

Where are you based in the UK? You could plug your Ka into my diagnostics scanner PDA if you're local?

Reply to
DervMan

Yes there is, you simply unplug it. If the fault goes, that's the problem. If not, you need to start looking elsewhere.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Heh, aye you're right. My bad.

Although /pedant/ that would tell you if it worked or not but it wouldn't test the unit...? :)

Reply to
DervMan

Yes, but it'd test it enough to ascertain the circuit involved. Experience suggests that the sensor is the highest likelyhood of being the problem.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Yeah I was trying to dig myself out of a hole.

Hey, you recall Kermit had a duff sensor? It _was_ the TMAP and just the TMAP... First time I've known of any Ka needing a replacement TMAP, and I've kinda known of a lot of Kas *blush cough*...

Reply to
DervMan

That is indeed a rare fault, TPS is *so* common a Ford fault.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Indeed, it's strange that nobody else I know with a Ka has ever had to replace the TMAP sensor. Perhaps it gets knocked by the engine / strut brace, hmm...

Reply to
DervMan

Well, if you will go and modify them...... ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Heh. They had a good look at the stuff we've had done, and were especially interested at the header tank relocating job for the 'brace. Oh and the cruise control gubbins...

Reply to
DervMan

Cruise control on a Ka - WTF?

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Erm, for cruising...

My usual commute to and from the office is thirty miles of motorway / dual carriageway.

Reply to
DervMan

And you can actually *use* cruise on a commute run? Respect!

I do between 42 and 50 miles a day too, and there is about 2 miles where I could actually think of switching on cruise control.

However, not many bikes have that fitted, or as an option either ;-)

Nevertheless I still get to work fully refreshed and unstressed :-)

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

If you get a car with cruise you use it a lot - especially in camera infested towns on ring roads and on the motorway.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

what's a TMAP? if it's the air flow monitor, i had to have that replaced last year. about £160 iirc, which is why i'm loathed to go back to the dealer for this new fault fixing :-(

Reply to
june

In message , Andy Hewitt writes

I use mine a lot on my 70 mile round trip commute. Its mainly dual carriageway and I set off at 06.30 and return at 19.00 when the roads are quiet enough to allow cruise control to be used.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

In message , june writes

Yes, the TMAP is what you refer to as your airflow monitor.

As others have suggested, its very likely that your TPS is giving you the symptoms that you describe. Its quite a common problem on the Ka.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Heh! But then I allow myself to use it. I don't play the 60 - 90 - 60 game in the outside lane, but play the 60 or 70 game, depending on traffic, in the inside lane(s).

At the moment I have almost eight miles in a 50 limit, and the cruise is great for that. I hit the middle preset and we decelerate to 50... no problems.

I find it useful when it's moderately busy too, I just set it to match a HGV...

Reply to
DervMan

Most cruise systems would struggle to maintain an accurate

Reply to
Andy Hewitt