Fuel Filter

Hi,

I havent replaced the fuel filter on my Fiat Bravo since I bought it some 3 years ago, and I'm not sure when it was done before that.

I am going to replace it this weekend. I just want to knwo if anyone knows what effect it will have on perfrmance, I'm guessing if its old and clogged up then the engine will run a bit better... but does having a new fuel filter improve MPG?

Thanks

Tom

Reply to
Thomarse

It'll probably make no difference whatsoever.

Reply to
adder1969

Does it have one? My Brava - 2001 (according to the HBOL) doesn't actually have a changeable fuel filter.

Reply to
gazzafield

gazzafield ("gazzafield" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I don't think I've ever heard of any injected engine _not_ having a fuel filter. I'll be surprised if it doesn't, as injection tends not to like lumps of crud - even more so than carbs...

Reply to
Adrian

If you don't have any current problems, then it will make absolutely no difference. The filter tends to allow enough fuel to get through, then quite suddenly to block itself up and cause very obvious problems - perhaps due to filling up with a bad batch of fuel or a patch of rust from your tank.

Change it if its due, or if you think it might be choked up.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Unless the car is 15 years old and the filter is blocked it will make no difference. It shouldn't be blocked within 3 years and probably isn't on the service schedule for a few more years. The only way to improve MPG is make sure the air filter is changed regularly, the oil and filter are changed and drive it sensibly. No racing or thrashing the life out of it. Also remove any heavy objects, keep the tyres inflated correctly and only fill it with half a tank for running about. If it's full, the extra weight will decrease performance and increase fuel consumption. You might be disappointed when you take the old filter out to find it is clear.

Reply to
TKelly

I've noticed some new cars have them intergrated with the pump - not a service item.

Reply to
big dom