Gah! Still hot and sticky!

After much hunting about I figured out that all I needed to fix my aircon was a pressure switch.

I got one from a breakers (with a warranty... and £10 instead of the £90 BMW wanted seemed like a good risk).

It turned up today, I eagerly went and fitted it... no joy.

So, still hot and sweaty tomorrow :-(

What usually happens with online breakers and duff parts - no hassle replacements, or drag it through the courts? (not that I would anyway, for £10).

Reply to
PCPaul

what a waste of gas, or have you got a recycler?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Neither. The switch screws onto a valve (like a car tyre valve) so you only lose a pfft of gas each time you take it off.

Reply to
PCPaul

in that case then just bypass it till you can find a good one

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Are you sure that the old switch was broken? Are you sure you have adequate pressure in the system for it to work?

David Hearn

It's a low *and* high pressure switch - low to protect the compressor from running dry and high to stop the system icing up. I'm happy there's gas in there since it was pressure tested and regassed not long ago and was nowhere near empty to start with, so I don't think there's a leak.

I have bypassed it for today, but then I've only done 10-15 minute journeys with large gaps between. I was more concerned with it on 100% that the icing the high pressure side of the switch was designed to handle would occur and damage something.

Presumably the compressor has a limit on how long it should be run for? What sort of duty cycle do they usually end up with?

Reply to
PCPaul

Ah, this uk.rec.cars.maintenance, icing is a bit unlikely today :-)

Reply to
Duncan Wood