Yaris washer puzzler.

Missus has a Yaris, front wiper works, rear wash and wipe works, but=20 front wash doesn't.

No sound from the pump when you operate front wash, but a whir when you=20 operate rear. The dealer she bought from didn't have a handbook when she bought the=20 car but promised to send one our, 18months later she doesn't have one.

Does anyone know if the front and rear washer pump circuits share a=20 fuse. From googling it appears they share the same pump.

Also, as I don't have the fuse diagram, anyone know which fuse it might=20 be and where it is located?

Also if it is the pump, is there any other models the 2004 Yaris=20 definatly shares a pump with. Toyota want about =A360_labour for one. I've= =20 discovered, from googling, it is push fitted with a rubber grommit into=20 the tank. But you need to take off a wheel and partially remove an arch=20 liner to get to it so I would rather leave that as a last resort as the=20 drive slopes.

Cheers guys and girls.

--=20 Carl Robson Get cashback on your purchases Topcashback

Elder

if it only has one pump then it is likely the switch at fault

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Looking at what I've found online, switch operates washers and wiper sweep. Wiper sweep works washer doesn't Only one pump, two circuits but one fuse. Apparently it is a pretty common fault that the front wash circuit fails but the rear doesn't because it isn't used as often.

Looks like the missus will be booking an appointment with MrT soon as I can convince her.

Reply to
Elder

I can't quite understand how one pump can do front or back washers. There would have to be electrically operated valves or something. Can front and back be used together? Usually it's 2 pumps clipped to one bottle and they're extremely easy to change as long as the wheel arch liner comes off easy, which it should do if you unpop the plastic studs the right way.

Reply to
Steve

You use two one way valves. For front washers, the pump runs in one direction, pushing water through one of the valves. For rear window, the pump runs in reverse, closing the first valve, and opening the second.

Front and back can't be used at the same time...

Reply to
Doki

Of course, I get it now, never thought of reversing the motor. The fault must be one pole of a 2 pole changeover switch knackered or the front one way valve is blocked (less likely as there's no whirring sound). If it helps, the £2 one way valves Halfords sell are OK for general purpose washers, I had a totally blocked rear one on my Primera and the Halfords one has been fine for 2-3 yrs so far.

Reply to
Steve

The pipe upto the washers doesn't squidge any fluid out so they are=20 probably dry.

Don't know about the Yaris specifically, but I'm never seen a Toyota=20 that had clipped on arch liners. Normally the are bolted in about a=20 dozen places and bolted to and usually inside the undertray if one is=20 fitted. And they usually use 2 bolt sizes and a cross head screw=20 depending what is fastened to what.